Notify
Tools

Lever Gun bolt face limitation
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted
I am completly new to lever gun
I came across the idea of building a lever gun for driven boar in European just to upset all the double rifle crowd

I wonder if it is at all possible to chamber a 9.3 x 62 caliber at all ?

I am looking for a 18.5 inch barrel in stainless so I suppose I will start with a 308 bolt face and a stainless 336 marlin

Does anyone know of a pistol grip rather than a straight grip stock ?

Thanks if anybody can advise

London UK

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
I'm sure that someone here will know a lot more about this than me...you're probabaly much better off starting with a Browning BLR of propper length. I would think the detachable magazine of the BLR would be much more suitable for your project than a tube fed lever gun...

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Spot on a detachable mag would auit driven hunt more

Is it easy to get aftermarket blanks for the takedown ?

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should take this subject up on the gunsmithing forum.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the remington 750 carbine in 35 whelen is very close to what you want.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Marlin is to short to handle the 9.3x62. It has been done with an 1895 Winchester. Get one in 30-06 or 270 and have at it. Or use the BLR.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So why bit use a 45/70 or 450marlin…

My 450 Marlin dropped a 2000 pound Bison with one shot… and I have seen my son drop a 300 Pound Hog.

It should be able to handle a driven hunt…

Just asken

one of us
posted Hide Post
Temmi's right. There are lots of 45-70/450 Marlin boar hunters here in America .
Happiness is a 45-70 !! dancing

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
What temmi and mete said + 1.
Imaginetheir faces when they see you slam down boars with such an old cartridge in a classic lever gun.! Mad

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chambering a levergun in the caliber you mention has been done with the 1895 Winchester/Browning clone and from what I have read, works very well indeed. Personally I would not alter an original Win. 1895, but search out a Browning Mod. 1895 if possible. The current New Winchesters are afflicted with a tang safety, altered trigger whereas the Browning is an accurate reproduction of the orgiginal and they can be had on the used market for around 1,000.00 U.S. dollars. Fit and finish on these Brownings is first class and has the box magazine permitting the use of pointed bullets. Big problem with the tubular magazine types. Hope this project work out for you.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
This is probably the best place to start. USRA Winchester 1895. I have the takedown rifle and the carbine. The carbine would be along the lines of what you are looking for. These are in 30-06 (rifle) and 30-40 (carbine). I also have a carbine in 30-06. I have seen several for sale reworked in 9.3. If it were me, I'd go 35 whelen as it would take less gunsmithing. the marlin action is set up to run a 2.5 inch case and can be modified to take a max of 2.68 inch case. The other problem with the marlin action is it will not take full power 9.3 loads-- the winchester will.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You forget the Marlin magazine will take nothing like pointy bullets without a primer detonation hazard. Plus the Marlin action is just too short.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by londonhunter:
I am completly new to lever gun
I came across the idea of building a lever gun for driven boar in European just to upset all the double rifle crowd

I wonder if it is at all possible to chamber a 9.3 x 62 caliber at all ?

I am looking for a 18.5 inch barrel in stainless so I suppose I will start with a 308 bolt face and a stainless 336 marlin

Does anyone know of a pistol grip rather than a straight grip stock ?

Thanks if anybody can advise

London UK

Save yourself a bunch of hassle. Just order a Browning BLR in 325 WSM and you'll have more than enough gun for boar. They make it in a pistol grip take down model which is just what your are looking for.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote