Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

winchester value
 Login/Join

posted
I stopped by a shop today and put some money down on two Winchesters. Both are unfired and in the box. One is a 94 trails end round barrel in 38-55 and the other is a 1895 take down in 405 Winchester. The 94 was $995 and the 1895 was $1300. Are these good investments? My plan is to not shoot either one. I would put them away for 20 years. What do you think?

AKA skeeter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Corporate stocks make good investment material...guns were made to shoot and have fun with. I hate when people lock guns away for decades to turn a few bucks. If thats what you are going to do with them save yourself the trouble and call your stockbroker. Now where did you say that take-down 405 was? I want to buy AND shoot it. The 1895 is a good buy, the 94 I would leave there unless he could come down $150. If you invested that same amount of money in a good stock mutual fund it would easily pay more back than you will ever make on those rifles, without the upkeep or theft concerns. Now, where is that 1895?

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rocketman, I think you would be better off buying vintage Winchesters rather then current ones for investments. I don't think there is gonna be much interest in a Winchester with Japan on the side of the barrel. This of course with the American Collector. I enjoy owning, shooting, hunting, and collecting these vintage Winchester guns. The problem is that the value on these have increased greatly in the last few years in that I can't afford to buy them like I used to. Oh well, it sure is nice using them on deer stand, or just taking them out and oiling them.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I bought the 94 case colored 26"round barrel legacy in 38-55 for $695.00 and the 1895 takedown case colored in 30-06 for $1195.00. Both bought new from my dealer. I think your prices are in the ballpark, perhaps items you can make a dollar on, but you will not get rich. The investment bankers always forget that an occassional gun sale does not trigger a 20% capital gains tax and/or taxable income in most cases.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote