THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Winchester 88 in 22-250 Ackley Improved
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 88 in 22-250 Ackley Improved
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I built this up last year for my dad for Christmas. Winchester 88 in 22-250 Ackley improved. He has one in 308, 243 and 284 and wanted something for smaller vermin.

Posts: 132 | Location: Inola, OK | Registered: 08 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice project indeed. I never appreciated the Winchester 88 when it was available. I lucked into one in .308 in 100% showroom condition. Out of the box accuracy rivals many bolt actions. I'm sure your dad will love this addition to his collection. If not, I'll adopt you.

Posts: 54 | Location: Nassau County, NY | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd love to see some range reports on the results. I've been tempted too.

Posts: 70 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: 18 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Win 88's are one of my fave all time rifles. Very nice guns. They can indeed be made very accurate rifles.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He's a lefty I see, at least some of the 88's you could move the safety button to the left side and work that way.You might already know that anyway.

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Very nice job. tu2

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larkin
posted Hide Post
Impressive rifle. I bought an early 88 .308 for my lefty son. Two things I wonder about: Does the .284 feed OK? I had a 100 in .284 that fed lousy. Two, anyone discover a way to reliably reduce trigger creep? That said, its still a great rifle.

Posts: 81 | Location: n.e. wa | Registered: 03 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony, I have several Model 88's and like the idea of some different chamberings.
Is there anything special about the rebarrel process or can most gunsmiths hndle this type of project?
Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have rebarreled several. Its not all that complicated a task. If your smith is experienced, he shouldn't have any problems.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Curtis, Thanks, I have a M-88 in .25/.284 that feeds horribly. It has a stainless Hart barrel and shoots bugholes but it doesn't feed like a .308 based rifle. The smith that built it has passed away so I was curious how tough of a job it was.
My local guy just said no problem so now my thoughts are .260 or 7mm/08.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will be happy with either of those. I've seen several in 7-08 and the were good shooters as well as fed with no problems.

Curtis

one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
My dad had a model 88 chambered for the 284. If fed shells as well as any bolt action I have seen. It's biggest problem was with factory shell offerings at that time it kicked like a wild mule.
Dad asigned it to my brother when he passed. My brother hand loads for it and uses a 120 bullet and said it is now a mild killing machine on white tail deer.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Curtis, trying to make plans for the barrel as it is it is on its way to the maker for duplication, he has asked me about thread size. Do you know off hand what the 88s were?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont have the specs in front of me but if I remember correctly, the thread size and pitch are the same as a M70. 1 inch by 16 TPI. The breach etc, are obviously significantly differant but the threads are the same. I will try to remember to double check that at the shop tomorrow.

Curtis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the stock, where did you get it ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just made a note on my blackberry to check threads tomorrow since i forgot today.

Curtis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
1" 16TPI is correct.

Curtis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Curtis, Thanks!! I will get some pictures up when finshed.With the green painted stock and stainless barrel, this thing really is different. I went stainless Douglas in 7mm/08.