New
Find
Notify
Tools

1895 45/70 barrel question?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just bought a 1978 Marlin 1895 45/70, straight grip, 22" barrel. The question is what is the actual barrel length from front of reciever to muzzle (21 5/8"), or from rear of chamber to muzzle (21 29/32"). Second how is the sight ramp attached? Mine appears to be shortened and the sight ramp is attached via screw into barrel, with a tapped hole that goes through barrel into rifling. Looks like someone just drilled clean through (topside) and tapped and away they went. Haven't shot it yet.

Posts: 109 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know when my 45-70 was made

My serial number is B004xxx how does that compare to yours? (As an idea on relative vintage)

It has no sight ramp.
The front sight is dovetailed directly into the top of the barrel, which is a "straight taper" from breech to muzzle.

The barrel length is measured from the muzzle to the breech face.
This is the "official" way to measure barrel length.
so the 21-29/32 is rounded up.

For confirmation my barrel extends approximatly
7-1/2" past the end of the magazine tube.

My straight grip stock came with a curved plastic buttplate
I had the Pachymar recoil pad added.
Later ones came with a red rubber butt plate.

Does any of that help?

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Allan, your Marlin 1895 was manufactured in 1972.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
djpepper,

If it has the screw-hole thru into the rifling, and it were mine, it would go to a g'smith and be shortened to a point past the hole. You'll like that length anyway. Of course, owning a rifle with the original, proper barrel length is another subject. Good luck,

Posts: 1 | Location: N.E. Missouri | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow... 1972? that makes it one of the "early" ones...

Previous to this I didn't know that I knew early 70's but not sure exactly when...

I first got it as a "winner" in a game of "oneupmanship"

One uncle had a 30-30, a cousin had a 35Rem and my brother had a 444 (all Marlins)

I showed up one fall with the 45-70 and everyone looked and I just said "I win"...

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote