New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to me Savage 1899
 Login/Join

posted
Hi guys!

I recently picked up a Savage 1899 that is dated to 1918-1919 in .250-3000. The guy I bought it from said his grandfather bought it new and used it on his ranch in Montana to shoot coyotes. He carried it in a scabbard and it has almost no finish on the metal but the bore looks almost brand new. Other than it is a take-down, I know pretty much nothing about it.

One odd thing is that it doesn't give the model number anywhere on the rifle. The last manufacture date on the barrel is June 1, 1909. All the numbers match on the rifle.

Can you guys give me some information about this rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned one for years, and several others along the way..They are an awesome rifle, and in a 250-3000 you have probably the most accurate caliber I have ever shot, and Ive owned aplenty rifles. My 1899 TD will shoot under an inch and mostly in the 1/2 inch groups for 3 shot groups...The barrels are 1x14 twist in your gun and mine, later in the late 20s some had a 1x12 twist...That twist is designed for 87 gr. and lighter bullets, however contrary to popular belief many of them will shoot a 100 gr. flat base bullet or even a 117 gr. round nose Hornady bullet, its the length that gets you in trouble, they will not shoot any boatail of 100 grs. or heavier.

If your gun is pretty rough its worth about $800 maybe less, a professional rust blue would kick it up to $1200 perhaps..Your gun in excellent original condition near 85 or 90% will fetch about $1900.00, maybe a bit more..

What you have now is a really nice shooter, hunting rifle as is, based on your description as a saddlel scabbard can really take a lot of blue off, but with that good bore, you have a super nice rifle..

BTW, your rifle is probably not drilled and tapped for a scope, but you could have it done, that may or may not hurt the value. It will to a dyed in the wool collector. It has not hurt the value in the ones Ive sold over the years. If I had a 90% gun I would not consider drilling and tapping but a worn gun like you describe with a good barrel, Id probably drill and tap it for a low power scope (3 or 4X Leupold) and maybe have it reblued or maybe just hunt with it as is and enjoy one of the great guns and great calibers of all time.

I shot a number of elk and a truck load of deer with my 1899 TD, 250 Sav. in my misspent cowboy youth, and its one of the few rifles I will never part with. You couldn't find a better saddle gun than a 99 Savage. Today I still use it for deer, but a 99EG that I recently purchased on AR and my old 99F (1950) both in .308 are now my saddleguns when hunting elk horseback. Would I still hunt elk with the 250 Savage, you bet I would, Id just have to get closer! beer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41968 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Ray,

Thanks for your insight! I don't think I'll put a scope on it. I look the looks as is. Might go ahead and have it rebelled at some point. I would probably use it for deer in my old home state of Missouri where in the south, the distances are in the 60-100 yd range and you don't really need a scope. Thanks again for the info!

one of us
posted Hide Post
For those ranges Id just shoot the iron sights and enjoy a slick little rifle that east to pack, and accurate enough to shoot the heads off turkey. Chances are good yours will, never owned a 250 that was super accurate..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41968 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASA400:
Hi Ray,

Thanks for your insight! I don't think I'll put a scope on it. I look the looks as is. Might go ahead and have it rebelled at some point. I would probably use it for deer in my old home state of Missouri where in the south, the distances are in the 60-100 yd range and you don't really need a scope. Thanks again for the info!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW. if you decide to sell it,give me first shot at it..I can always use a beat up good hunter for saddle scabbard use.
Ray

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120