THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Mr. Atkinson ? on scopes for 99's.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mr. Atkinson ? on scopes for 99's.
 Login/Join

posted
On a recent post you mentioned that you had a Leupold 3X on one 99 and a 1X4 Leupold on another. My scope knowledge is limited.

I have a chance this week to buy a 99 in .250. It has already been drilled and tapped so I'm looking to buy a scope for it.

I'm tempted, because it is a 50 year old 99 to go with a single power scope such as the 3X. Seems in keeping with the age of the rifle. But I'm not locked in, if the 1X4 is better.

The 99 will be used by my 13 year old son for deer. And I would like to hunt an antelope with it.

Any help would be appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Henry,

I have been using 99's as long as Ray and maybe more. For most deer hunting a 4X will suffice but a variable is more fun at the range and that 250 would work on varmits as well.

I have seen snow on branches to where a 2X was much better and in some cases where there are antler restrictions more power may be wanted.

The beauty of the 99 is that almost any scope always would work. Get what you want but a 2-7 is what I am putting on them now.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Savage99,

Thanks for your reply. I hope the 99 deal goes through so I can use the good advice I get.

posted Hide Post
ttt

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want a vintage era scope, I have a 2.5x Lyman Permacenter scope in 99% condition, its only been on one gun for a short time...I'd sell it for $160 and it sure would look nice on that 99..Has the same profile as a 3X Leupold and its a fine scope optically and the cross hairs are always centered.

All my 99s have 2.5 or 3x scopes and have served me well...I love the 250 Savage, I shot a lot of deer and elk with it..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
I purchased an older model Leupold 2-7x VariX II from another forum member a few weeks back. I mounted it on my late 60s era 99F just this past week. This is the first 99 I have scoped, my other 2 having peep sight & factory Irons respectively. I was looking for an older scope and came up with the Leupold. Originally I was leaning towards a fixed 4x and purchased a Redfield Widefield off e-bay but it endedup being one of the newer models made in Japan. A cheap scope, nothing like the American made versions. So I jumped at the opportunity to get the old Leu Big Grin

I was really pleased with the accuracy I was got at the range today. With factory 180 grain core lokts my 3 shot groups were under 1"! This will be a great light weight hunter for me. I will most likely hunt with it set at 2 or 3x. But I have a higher power option should I need to thread the needle with a shot.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Iron Buck,

Thanks for your reply. My nephew has almost exactly the same rifle, model and year. He loves it!

Ray,

Sometime this coming week I will finally have a chance to look at the 99 and see if condition and price are right. Thanks for your offer of the scope for sale, but let me see where I stand at the end of the week.

posted Hide Post
I passed on the 99 I looked at.

I will keep looking and thanks again for all the information I recieved on this post.

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Over at guns america .com under savage rifles for sale on page 9 they list a model 99 in 300 savage for $895.00 . They claim it is new and unfired it sports a 4x scope with the savage name on it . The bases and rings are also marked savage. Who made these scopes and bases for savage? Or did they actually produce these themselves?

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Henry: When looking at Model 99s in .250, keep in mind the older ones were barreled with a 1:14 twist, and are really at their best with bullets under 100 grains --especially the 87-grain pill. These guns are fine for deer and varmints, but you'll want the later, faster twist to stbilize the heavier slugs if you plan to use the rifle on something the size of an elk. I had a 1:14 that was spectacular with the light bullets, and already starting to open groups with 100-grainers.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16646 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that the 2-7x of your choice, I like Leupolds pretty well, mates well with a 99. My 99F in 260 wears a 2-7x33 with a heavy duplex reticle and is about as close to whitetail perfection as it gets.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't see well enough to shoot anything without a scope so I certainly biased, but a nice, low power, older scope is not only useful but can look good on a 99.

I've got an EG in 300 Sav. that I stuck an old Weaver K3 fixed power scope on many years ago. No, it's nothing like a new Leupold but it works OK and looks like it's from the same period as the rifle (even though it's probably 20 years newer). It's worked fine for deer, hogs and 2 coyotes at relative short ranges.

-WSJ

Posts: 300 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WSG,
I'm with you if it works then its fine...all anyone has to do with a scope thats sighted in is put the cross hairs on the animals, who cares if you can see ticks on a buck...too much to do on optical quality IMO...save that for a set of high dollar binocs...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am going through what to put on my Savage 99A. The "A" is a little more compact than some of the others as it has a 20" barrel. I used to have a 2x7x33 Leupie on it and it just seemed "bigger" than what I wanted.

I am considering putting a 1x4x20mm, 1.5x5x20mm, or maybe a fixed power. Right now I am leaning towards a new VXII 1x4x20mm and putting a German #4 Reticle in it.

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
If you want a real classic, I suggest looking around for a Stith "Streamline" mount. They can be found used (haven't been made for many years) on the various on-line auctions.

They are a really neat rig, made mainly for the various Weaver K-2.5 and K-3 scopes. The front mount ring has a base which fits in the rear sight dovetail on the barrel, and completely envelops and protects the front end of the scope. The front of the scope does not protrude through the front ring. The rear mount fits the two holes normally drilled in the top of the tang for a tang sight. They are super strong, and do make the rifle look very streamlined.

Also, the M99s shoot well with them. I have had a number of .250's, all of whch would shoot 5-shot MOA groups with this specific combo.

Last but not least, the scope mounted thusly is very low to the action & barrel, so the iron-sight stock brings it right to the eye when you need to take a fast shot.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote