Notify
Tools

1886 Buttstock
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted
Good day gents,
I am toying with the idea of replacing out the curved buttstock on one of my 1886's with a shot gun style buttstock from a win 1886 extra lite,my guns have have the tang safety,any idea where I can pick up a stock? Thanks.

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have done that on many 86s and 95s; the shotgun butt is a much better idea. I get them from precision gun works. Or I make them myself sometimes too.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Treebone Carving. Google them; they are in Nevada.

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I normally bondo the original stock up to my specs, then send the stock off with wood of my choice to one of the stylists, usually Dennis Olson or a fellow in Boise to have it copied, then with a hour or two of inletting its ready to sand and finish..Keep the original and sell it or to put back on the gun in the event you want to sell it as original..the Bondo comes right off. Also you can match the wood with this option, but I usually send a rifle blank and have the forend cut also, so the wood matches. Its a little trouble and lots of work, so I send them a quality blank with some nice grain and color.

I also highly recommend glass bedding these lever guns unless collectability is a issue and it should be in many cases, its not a common practice in lever guns for some reason, but they sure do take to it and shoot a lot better in every case where I have done this..I have done this with 94s, 71s and Savage 99s and they usually compete with most bolt actions that have had the same treatment..

I hear and read so much about lever guns being inaccurate by design, not so, its by production methods of sloppy inletting in many cases. All my 99s and one 30-30 win. are glassed and they shoot one inch every time and the 30-30 is with irons for 3 shots..can't beat that..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote