Find
Notify
Tools

Rare find ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted
Just bought a Winchester 1894 32/40 Ser No. 61**** for $AU300, which was made in 1912. Bore is excellent as is the action and woodwork but has little bluing. This is a half magazine rifle with half octagonal and half round 26" barrel. Stock has a crescent steel buttplate.

I've never seen one similar, and was wondering if I should have it reblued? Anyone know if this rifle may have been a custom factory rifle. I'll post some pics when I pick it up.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BA, any rifle with special features such as a 1/2 magazine and 1/2 octagon barrel were special orderded. I did not pull my books out to verify this but I believe nearly all 1/2 Octagon barreled rifles came with 1/2 magazines. Here theese special ordered items are not that uncommon. Regrettably from the time frame your receiver was made there are no factory records available. For many this diminishes the value as their is no "proof positive" way to verify that it is not a parts gun short of letters of authenticity from well noted "experts". On the other hand I personally would consider any pre 1920's rifle with a excellent bore in a origional barrel a great find. The 32-40 is a fun caliber. I'm certain you will be enjoying that one !

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks CW,
Included in the price, I got a second one Ser No. 915*** (1920) that has full octagonal 26" barrel and a 'shotgun' style checkered buttplate. This one is missing the half mag nosecap, tube, follower rear sight and magazine tenon.

Bore is not as good but still a shooter if I can restore it.

Is Gun Parts still the best place in USA to get 94 Winchester parts?

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BA, Any place you can find that has the origional parts you need is the best place to get them ! You might have to search a bit but you should be able to find those pieces. There used to be some links to parts dealers off the Winchester web site.

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I wouldn't do any restoration work on that gun. I don't know how common a rifle like that is over there, but that gun would bring in well over $1,000 U.S. at some of the gun shows I attend.
I saw one at a show that had been reblued, the stock refinished and the bore looked like a sewer pipe. There was absolutely no trace of rifling left in the barrel. Asking price was $900 U.S. firm. Caliber was .32 Winchester Spl. I passed, but the guy behind me snapped it up so fast the air literally smoked.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BAW Jim Wisner has a website and he offers heaps of parts for 1886 and the older models...he produces all the repro parts you might need I suspect.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I say shoot heck out of it. Unless you only bought it as an investment go ahead and make it pretty, then shoot it.
My 94 in 32-40 is beat up, has a new stock on it.(I still have the old one) has a dark bore and everytime I take it to the range someone tries to buy it. They are fine looking rifles that shoot.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dont reblue it, in my experience it kills the value. Most of the old Winchesters have alot of the blueing gone on the recievers because it was different steel than the barrel and the blueing flaked off. Most collectors I talk to would rather have no blueing than a reblue. Sounds like you got a good deal, have fun with it.
Brownells lists alot of 94 Winchester parts. I've gotten a couple small parts from them before.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all gentlemen for your informative replies.

In OZ at the present time, we have a "gun amnesty" whereby unregistered guns can be handed in to be crushed or licenced shooters can place them on the books without incurring a felony charge.

Of course there are just hundreds of old guns floating around for a song. After last weeks find I got a 1892 38/40 with half mag that on the outside looks like a garden stake BUT has a very tight action and a perfect bore. Serial No. 39*** made in 1893.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...unregistered guns can be handed in to be crushed...

Crushing guns is immoral (unless they were made in Japan or China).

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of oneills
posted Hide Post
BA I don't think that you could have any possible use for an old piece of junk like that , therefore i will buy it off you for what you payed for it.

Posts: 73 | Location: Vic, Australia | Registered: 19 November 2002Reply With Quote