Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Base and Rings for Marlin 1895
 Login/Join

posted
I have a Marlin 1895 45/70 guide gun and would like to mount a scope (probably a VX-III 2.5x8x36) on it. I recently purchased a Leupold QD base and ring set because I thought that I could remove the scope and use the open sights as well. I installed the base this afternoon and the base is too thick to see the rear sight. Also, just by looking at it I have my doubts that the scope will clear the rear sight. I would like to know what options I have to be able to use the open sights as well as mount a scope.

Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum.

Since you already have the scope mount & rings, the cheapest option might be to fit taller sights. For a rear you could go to of those ones that fold down like a Lyman. That would also move the rear sight forward and might clear your scope. Check heights etc first before buying.

Posts: 503 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply!

I'd rather return/exchange the base and rings if there is a better alternative...

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can mail order a real Weaver Base from about anywhere for $3-$4.

There are a good number of fine features about this Base. With it on the rifle, you can still see the Factory Iron Sights because it is designed to allow that. (Not all Weaver Style Bases, made by other manufacturers, are designed this way.) If you need an extra cross-slot, in 8min you can File one in. Looks fine on a rifle and carrys well with/without the scope. It's darn sure inexpensive, and you can remove and replace most Weaver Style Rings with not enough change in the Point-of-Impact to concern a 45-70 user(or my 444MAR).

You can get all kinds of Weaver Style Rings since everyone makes them. I prefer Burris Signatures, but their normal set requires that you "slide" the Ring into position instead of setting it down on top of the Base. This means you may not be able to remove the Scope by simply removing the Retention Bolt and sliding the Scope/Ring combination off. Depends on how large the Front Lens is on the Scope. Plus you have to remove both the Nut and completely remove the Bolt to allow it to slide. I believe Burris makes a Quick Release Model for a Weaver Style Base though.

Most other Weaver Style Rings have a Floating Clamp along one side of the Ring. This allows the user to loosen the Hold On Nuts and the scope will lift right off the Base with the Rings still attached to the Scope. If you want to do this, just look for a Ring with a Knurled Nut that you can turn off with your fingers, or that uses a Coin Slot in the Nut. Plenty available at a broad range of prices.

Lots of excellent options are available for you and they do not have to be expensive.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you haven't bought the glass yet I strongly recommend you consider a shorter, straight tube scope, like the 2.5x compact, the VX-II 1-4x, or the VX-III 1.5-5x. Then get yourself a standard set of Weaver rings and the one piece base ($10-15 at Walmart). Another interesting option is the new XS sight base that can serve as a conventional scope base or a scout mount and comes with the backup aperture installed at the rear of the rail (it comes with the required taller front sight as well). Tried to find a link for it but didn't...

posted Hide Post
What is the benefit of a shorter straight tube scope? Just wondering... The only reason that I want a scope on this rifle to begin with is that when hunting I can't see the front sight long before its dark. I realize that I don't need much magnification for a 45-70 but I would think a 36mm scope would let in a fair amount more light than a straight tube.

One of Us
Picture of greghud
posted Hide Post
optics are a tricky subject but just think less zoom needs less size in the lens. so a 1 to 4 or a 1.5 to 5 zoom dont need a big lens on the front of it to get enough light.
it makes the scope smaller ( lighter and less to get hooked on crap.)
i think if you go for a scope such as these then you will never need worry about your open sights again. so who cares about the mounts.
greg

Posts: 383 | Location: top end oz | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Does anybody know of a good manufacturer that makes this kind of scope in silver? (My 1895 is stainless)

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
I have a matte Leupold VX-II 2-7x33mm on my Winchester M70 Classic Stainless .375 H&H in Leupold silver QR rings and it looks fine. So you may find the same with your 1895GS.

However, your original choice of the Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x36mm is excellent. I have several friends who have had those scopes for years and they are well satisified and recommend them to everyone. I opted for the 3.5-10x40mm instead and love it on my 280 Rem AI. The Leupold VX-III 2.5x36mm comes in silver and would definitely be a good choice for an 1895GS. I wouldn't be opposed to changing open sights to accommodate one.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote