Notify
Tools

Elephant with .45-90
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted
.45-90 fans;

Check the Jan-Feb 2012 issue of Texas Sporting Journal for the cover story by David Sefton about how he had to use his .45-90 Sharps to kill a rogue bull elephant after three .458 Win Mag bullets had failed to penetrate!
I could tell you more, but then you would not enjoy the story of the hunt so much.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to the text of the story. Even without all the pictures, it makes for interesting reading.
http://www.africanhuntinggazet...cle&id=158&Itemid=25

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I found no mention of the make, weight, velocity, or construction of the bullets frired from the .458 WM.

There was no mention of what damage the second .458 WM did, either.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
George,
Agreed. Would like to know that too. Possibly it was left out so as not to be critical of the manufacturer.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There was no mention of what damage the second .458 WM did, either.

He said "neither of the 458 solids penatrated" so it couldnt have been much damage.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So let me get this straight...we have no info on what bullets were used in the .458. A 400 gr. bullet out of a 45-90 penetrated amazingly well, but for argument's sake let's say the .458 was loaded with 500 gr bullet. Most people on this forum claim that the actual velocity of a 458 is closer to 1900-2000 fps in most factory loadings.
So a 400 grain bullet going approximately the same velocity as a 500 gr bullet, both .458 diameter, will have superior penetration? That being said, if a lighter bullet penetrates better than a heavier one, same diameter of course, then where do I get some 20 gr. .416 bullets? Hell, those ought to shoot through 12-15 elephants standing in front of one another and have less recoil than my .223!
Interesting article, despite the somewhat immature (IMO only) analogies that were given.

Posts: 121 | Location: on the road | Registered: 01 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AlanFaulkner:
So let me get this straight...we have no info on what bullets were used in the .458. A 400 gr. bullet out of a 45-90 penetrated amazingly well, but for argument's sake let's say the .458 was loaded with 500 gr bullet. Most people on this forum claim that the actual velocity of a 458 is closer to 1900-2000 fps in most factory loadings.
So a 400 grain bullet going approximately the same velocity as a 500 gr bullet, both .458 diameter, will have superior penetration? That being said, if a lighter bullet penetrates better than a heavier one, same diameter of course, then where do I get some 20 gr. .416 bullets? Hell, those ought to shoot through 12-15 elephants standing in front of one another and have less recoil than my .223!
Interesting article, despite the somewhat immature (IMO only) analogies that were given.

I do not think that the caliber is being taken to task so much as the bullet construction.We all know all bullets are not equal .

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do not think that the caliber is being taken to task so much as the bullet construction.We all know all bullets are not equal .

Agreed. The .45-90 was shooting Barnes solids. Who knows what they were using in the .458, but I bet it would have done better than the .45-90 did with the same bullets.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't see a date on that . Was the ammo the early stuff , over compressed and prone to squib ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't see a date on that . Was the ammo the early stuff , over compressed and prone to squib ?

That was my exact thought also, and likely the answer.