THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Savage 99 in 308 - should I buy it????
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 99 in 308 - should I buy it????
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My fave toy store has a mint mint 99 in 308 that I'm interested in buying to hunt with. I didn't note the specific model, but has brass spool with counter window, checkered walnut stocks, is factory drilled and tapped and doesn't have a schnabble forend.

The trigger pull is a crisp and creep-free 3.5 or so lbs. It's just mint and never hunted. Barrel is pretty light so I don't know if I can expect it to shoot in 1.5 moa but probably wouldn't keep it if it won't shoot to that standard.
I'm guessing this gun was made sometime between 1968 and '75. Workmanship isn't nearly as nice as a '50's gun but I like the chambering and the fact that it's D&T. Never had a scope mounted on it BTW.

I can get it for $550 out the door.

Buy it or pass at tha price?

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get it.You will like it.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
I have one and it is a good shooter. Nice and light weight and out shoots most of my bolt guns.

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you don't want it, I'll buy it in a NY second. While I'd rather have it for $450, that is a decent price considering condition and the fact that, in general, 99s are getting more expensive.

In short, you should buy it. My first 99 in .308, after getting it sighted in, spit it's first 3 shots of Norma .308 into a 3/8 inch group at 100 yds, this with a 1.5x5 Leupie on top. I was afraid to shoot the 4th shot.....Frankly I was and am amazed at how accurate the gun is.

Wound up breaking stock on above gun (stock design is real weak point on this gun, check for cracks around top tang on all that you are considering buying, crack(s) should not disqualify it but should be considered in price), but it will still shoot 3/4 inch or less after my amateur epoxy repair.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll go check it out again today.

<Andrew cempa>
posted
Sounds like my M99 F- 308 with rotary mag and a featherweight barrel. Mine is a very good shooter-under 1 MOA with pretty much any decent ammo. Same story, stock cracked and eventually split in two at the tang/wrist, replacement OEM stock and she is doing very well. My first centerfire.

Killed quite a few deer and woodchucks in my youth with it.

No idea of the value these days, but I see decent older 99s in 350-500 range, early minty 99s of course go well into the ~$1K range....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that's the model Andrew. Has a very light contour barrel.

Mike

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Well worth the money for a 99 in excellent condition depending on the variation.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I sure wish it was here locally. I'd peel rubber all the way to town to get it, in a heart beat.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, too bad for me it had already been sold on gunbroker. It wasn't out on the shelf - was on a rack in the back room but still had the price tag on it. Here's a link to the auction: http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti...m.asp?Item=137368225

I woulda liked it, but this frees me up to take a gamble on a Kimber 84m Classic in 308. They fit me like a dream. Maybe I'll luck out and get one that shoots as well as it should.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It didn't sell on gunbroker. Reserve was not met.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Hope your (soon to be) Kimber shoots like a dream. You certainly live in a nice state for using it. About the only part of Utah I don't care for is the SLC/Ogden area. The restis pretty much a rifleman's paradise.

Good luck....

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote