THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    .348 Winchester Wildcats: Is there a 348 necked up to .375
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.348 Winchester Wildcats: Is there a 348 necked up to .375
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know that Ackley did some wildcats with the 348, such as the 450 Alaskan.
I have not heard anything about a 375.
After looking at the case capacity of the 348, it would seem that a 375 might (if properly loaded) be a natural and might even get bullet velocity close to competing with the 375 Ruger and H&H.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
I heared about a .375Alaskan made by McGowen. Don´t know anything about bullet velocity.

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
I found a mistake. The .375Alaskan (McGowen) isn´t made from the .348WCF. This must be a rimless or belted round.
But a .375-version with the .348WCF should exist. Confused

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Bob:

It's not terribly popular, but we've made a number of chamber reamers for the 375/348 Win--in both standard and "improved" versions. If you'd e-mail me, I'll send representative prints for your review.

Best regards,

Dave Manson
david@mansonreamers.com

Posts: 697 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
I have a drawing of one called the 375 Express, case capacity ~90gr H2O....

It uses the 348 case BUT the rim is turned off and an extraction groove cut...basically the same as todays WSM case. I did the same with a 45-70 case just for kicks. Seemed like a lot of trouble to go through in this day and age...

I decided that using a WSM case would be the better way to go, but after learnin about all the "problems" surrounding the Marlin action while I did three switch barrels, 356 W, 444 M and 458 American, I decided to forget the larger OD case.

If you have one of the leversmiths do their recutting of the receiver threads and enlarging the barrel threads or use the 450 Marlin V threaded receiver you will be OK in the pressure department, tho'.

Either using the 348 or WSM case OR the RCM case, would definitely produce a very good leveraction "Thumper".

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To each his own and all of us owe a great deal of current ammunition/firearms knowledge to wildcatters, but for me I would not change a thing about the 348Win. as a hunting caliber.
Lived and hunted in Alaska for some years and that round works just fine for any game found there. Is it a sheep round, no, but they have been taken with the 348. Definitely not a long range hunting round, but no problems out near the 300yd. mark. The Win/Browning 71 and 348 are about as perfect combination I can think of for hunting whatever in North America including the big bears. The 71 does not lend itself to scoping, but to me that is not a detrement if the game is within suitable range for the receiver sight works just fine. Use a ghost ring set up on the sight and pratice a bit with the combo and you are good to go. Old school here, but kind of like the saying that "if it's not broke, don't fix it..."

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MFD,
I differ on the potential for an elegant scope as an addition to a Model 71.
Here is a picture of one of my 71s with my custom designed scope base and EER scope.

http://s1131.photobucket.com/a...=RightSide600pxl.jpg

http://s1131.photobucket.com/a...t=RearView600pxl.jpg

http://s1131.photobucket.com/a...t=LeftSide600pxl.jpg

Unfortunately I am not experienced at rust blue techniques, but excluding that, I think it is a unique and practical.
P.S. I have another which will never have a scope.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
What you say is true, MFD, the 348 is still an excellent cartridge and the M71 an excellent levergun...BUT...were it not for those who want to "FIX things that aren't broken" we would still be throwing rocks, scavanging and eating raw meat.

Status Quo is good and bad...it keeps things firmly grounded, but also stops innovation and progress....both highly evil in themselves.

Luck

one of us
Picture of JOE MACK
posted Hide Post
One I've heard of is the .375 Scoville. Can't find the article, but a bear guide in Alaska used it as backup for his clients.

JOE MACK aka The .41FAN

HAVE MORE FUN AND GET THE JOB DONE WITH A .41

I am the punishment of God…
If you had not committed great sins,
God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you. (GENGHIS KHAN)

Posts: 403 | Location: PRK | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Bob:
James Watts expanded the .348 to both the .450 caliber and a .40 caliber--both in a standard and improved version (less taper and sharper neck) and took .411" bullets of 400 grains. I owned the first rifles Jim made in these calibers but sold them when I moved on to double rifles. Damn!! Sold the first .450 Watts, Too. Double damn.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking the 375 Scovill was a 9.3x62 necked up to 375 and used in a Mod. 95 Win. I know Phil Shoemaker had one or used one a bit..It should be a nice bear gun.

At one time some years ago, there were a few 348 Win. around that had been rebarreled to a 348/375..I think that guy in Alaska did them. I shot one that belonged to a friend and it kicked like a mule.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42169 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote