New
Find
Notify
Tools

browning blr bolt removal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How do you remove the bolt from a belgun made 308 for cleaning? Thanks for any help.

Posts: 28 | Location: Canfield Ohio | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had a couple of those rifles and been told to remove the bolt and reinstall is a problem?? I am sure there are those that can give you proper advise. Some issues with the timing of the rack/gear timing upon reinstalling??

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is strongly advised not to take the action apart. It is a real bitch the get the action timed and functioning right when you put it back together. I had a newer BLR that had some issues and the bolt actually needed replacement. I sent it back to browning. Took three trips for them to get it to function again. This was after THEY took it apart.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't do it!!

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, it wasn't my gun so i just cleaned it through the muzzle with a guild.

Posts: 28 | Location: Canfield Ohio | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It can be done but I do not recommend it for the faint hearted, or someone who is not machine inclined.

The lever has a fine toothed arced rack in it, the bottom of the bolt has a course tooth rack on it. Then you have a double toothed gear that sits on a axle pin between the two.

Normally you take a measurement of how much of the bolt protrudes from the rear of the reciever, and note how much gap there is behind the bolt body and bolt head. Do this before you take the reciever apart.

So once you are reassembling the action you have relocate the bolt, double gear and lever, and the two cross pins. Then you have to retime the lever rack to the double toothed gear. The last time I did this I had about 45 minutes in just re timeing it so it would close back to its proper position.

Best just clean from the muzzle, and soak the receiver insides down and use a air nozzle to blow any gunk out of the reciever.

When the long action BLR's came out in the early 90's I said all right, I can now make up a 35 Whelen. But when I shouldered one and racked the action, CRAP the rear of the bolt smacked my glasses and left a mark on the lense. Well so much for that idea.

J Wisner

Posts: 1450 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote