One of Us
Picture of bigfats
posted
Posted for MagnoliaSlim

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
patriot

I believe Doug T is one of the reasons the `86 has regained its popularity...The evidence is found on the above post Smiler

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
very nice looking rifle! tu2

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Should get the dies, brass, etc tomorrow. Plan to take her to the range this week and let her stretch her legs abit. If she shoots like she looks, there will be some paper and whitetail deer is serious trouble around here.

"This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickok. "

Posts: 54 | Location: Brandon, Ms. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Took her to the range today with some reduced loads and let her run abit. 21.5 grs of Trail Boss, 410 gr FNGC, and CCI #200 at 1186 fps. Shot into one big hole at 50 yds. Sounds like a good deer round to me.

"This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickok. "

Posts: 54 | Location: Brandon, Ms. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jim Z.
posted Hide Post
S W E E T !

*we band of 45-70ers*
Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses!

Malon Labe!

Posts: 235 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can really see the difference between a Browning design by executive committee (curved steel butt) and gun designed by a hunter/shooter.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fourbore:
You can really see the difference between a Browning design by executive committee (curved steel butt) and gun designed by a hunter/shooter.

+1...Amen

That is why I no longer own a Browning 1886 in 45/70 (curved steel butt)....EVERY shot HURT!!

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just completed buy of Browning 1886 and will send off to Turnbull for his CCH and would not remove the crescent butt plate for that would just reduce the amount of "magic" he can do on such rifles. To each his own.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howdy, Slim--

Nice lookin' rifle!

Hey, MFD... Show us your '86 when you get 'er back, will ya?!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just completed buy of Browning 1886 and will send off to Turnbull for his CCH and would not remove the crescent butt plate for that would just reduce the amount of "magic" he can do on such rifles. To each his own.

Definitely, to each his own. I just like to point out another historically correct option is the steel shotgun butt plate. I have that on one of my Shiloh's and another with the sharp edge crescent butt plate. The shotgun plate even though steel is a world improved and looks fine too. That steel is checkered or else could have the same "Magic" applied - if you mean engraving or color hardened. I dont think this is a Browning option. I agree the curve steel looks good and that is why I found out the hard way. My 1892 also has a very pretty curve steel butt plate and shooting in my shirt sleeves that little 44mag hurts (I should have got a classic 44/40).

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am glad you like your shotgun buttplate and that you believe it is an improvment over the curved version. Just not to my tastes on classic lever gun. Yes indeed I will post photos of the Brown.'86 as soon as I have Turnbull finish CCH my custom Ruger No.3 in 45/70 Gov't. I am actively searching for a steel curved buttplate to replace the plastic one from the factory. Will post photos of both when completed. I just happen to like the curved buttplates.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bottom line for me, all my rifles, leverguns included are hunting weapons, and I love to shoot them. Plus, I don't own an original so I'm not messing up an heirloom.

I love having a recoil pad, especially when pushing the bullet faster than black powder loads from yesteryear.

"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet. But have a plan on how to kill them." From an old Marine.

Posts: 81 | Location: Montana | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy the shotgun butt plate stock from Browning or have a good gunsmith make you one with killer wood...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote