Find
Notify
Tools

.454 Casull
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
Has anyone seen one of the Rossi lever guns in .454 Casull yet? Was wondering about the quality.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 454PB
posted Hide Post
If you are refering to the Legacy .454 lever gun, I own one. Very nice rifle for the price. I've had good results with mine, but I've read that other owners have had problems with the forearm wood splitting.

You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Posts: 52 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Thats the one. How much are they going for?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 454PB
posted Hide Post
I bought mine about 9 months ago for $350, list price is about $100 more. I already owned three .454 revolvers, so it was a bit of a surprise to feel the recoil in a rifle. They come with a passable recoil pad, but with my hotter loads, it's much like shooting a 45/70. Nice part is it holds 10 rounds and can be loading via the tube (like the old Remington .22's), or through the loading gate. I bought mine as a plinker, and it works well for that, but would also be a good brush gun for close work.

The fit and finish on mine is excellent. Mine is blued and reminds me of the finish on the older Winchester levers....very shiney!

You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info 454PB. thumb

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How do the ballistics of the .454 compare to the 45-70?

One of Us
Picture of 454PB
posted Hide Post
My best effort .454 loads push a 320 gr. cast GC bullet to 2000 fps. With the Puma, bullet weight is limited by seating depth, so it's hard to use much over 320 to 330 gr. bullets.

I've used heavier, longer bullets, but they have to be manually fed.