New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Marlin 1895 - 45-70 Recoil
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 1895ss 22" barrel and started out using 300 gr. remington factory loads. They were pussycats on the shoulder. Then, I moved up and loaded some 405 gr. rems to 1800fps. I have owned a lot of guns but the only one that comes close was a 300 whby mountain rifle I once owned. They would shoot into an inch at 100 yards though. Now, I have loaded some 350 gr. hornady flat points to 1900fps. They also are a handful but slightly less than the 405ers and still as accurate...

Posts: 318 | Location: People's Republic of New York | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Everyones tolerance to recoil is vastly different.

I had reservations about getting what I thought would be a metal mule but found the 45/70 to be quite tame.

Mine is a staino guide gun with a limbsaver recoil pad and my favourite load pushes 300gn Hornadys along at 1950fps.

Although personaly I find the recoil from this load no problem at all, I wouldn't suggest you step straight to those velocities if you're only used to a light caliber.

Always best to start around the 1300-1400fps mark and work your way up as your tolerance increases.

Another tip is to only use iron sights or a scout until you are used to the recoil. You are more likely to develope a flinch if an eyepiece is 3 inches from your melon on the bigger kickers until you are use to them.

In a nutshell, don't be scared of this great gun and caliber, once you've owned one you'll know what I mean!

Cheers,
Boof...

Posts: 90 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote