New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Bore 94 .356
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just picked up a NIB Winchester Big Bore 94 in .356 Win. What can you tell me about it? I believe that I can use .358 Win dies to reload with, is that correct? I plan on using this as my pig rifle after my upcoming move to Georgia. Anyone have any good loads? I'd like to use 250s if possible.

Posts: 284 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Hello Hoss. Your new rifle will be great. I have an early M-94 in .356 I like a lot. Yes .358 dies are ok. I use the Speer 180/Imr 4064 and get excellent groups at 100 Yards, but have no experience with heavier bullets. You may want to check the cast bullet forum as the caliber is favored there. BTW mine feeds and ejects rimless .358 very well, but I don't need the absolute reliability wou will want for Ga. hogs. Good hunting. ned

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
You'll need a new shellholder, if you don't already own the correct one.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 250 grn F/N's are getting a bit hard to find ; and those that make them are charging an arm and a leg for them. I have seen it posted by several who use the .356 Winchester for pigs that they really like the Speer 220 grn F/N. They claim it hits HARD! And, the recoil is a bit less than the 250. Check out a few of the hog hunting forums and ask around; I'm sure you'll get a response from somebody.

Hope this helps,

Posts: 47 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: 23 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
They do like cast bullets. I use 250's and up in mine, but there are also a lot of good cast bullet moulds around in 200-250 grain weight range.

I bought a bunch of .356 brass (and I mean a BUNCH) just in case Winnie dropped it some day soon....only to find that mine handles .358 brass/cartridges just about as well as the .356 stuff. And, of course, you can make .358 brass from .308's, and you can see where that is leading....

I have heard that one doesn't want to come any closer to normal top book loads for the .358 than about 2 grs. of powder, but I don't know if that is correct. I just load mine relatively mild anyway. I've got a ton of other rifles if I really want a Magnum.

Anyway, am sure you will love your Big Bore, if you want a practical "Hunter's rifle" good out to about 200 yards for danged near anything you'll run into in the South 48. My advice is to try lots of different cast bullets 'til you find something you like. Use as large a diameter as your chamber will readily handle, as soft a bullet with a big flat meplat as experimentation shows you won't lead the throat or barrel at that diameter, and a moderate charge of a medium rate powder such as W 748, IMR 4895, or any other such as you have on hand.

It'll give you excellent hunting accuracy that way, and be fun to shoot and easy to clean, not a chore.

If you want me to look up a few of the loads mine likes, just send me a personal message. I don't usually put exact loads out on the net where I have no idea who might try to use them and where I can't discuss the loads with them.

Best of luck,

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hoss,

Give cast bullets a try, they're avalible and for the most part pretty cheap. I've been shooting a 200gr.lfn from Leadhead that shoots real good in my .356 and the pigs never know what hit 'em. Cast Performance and Beartooth also make good bullets, give 'em a try, I think you'll 'em.

Posts: 1018 | Location: Lafourche Parish, La. | Registered: 24 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hoss,
Got one in the Marlin, a 336ER, it loves the Saeco checked 245gr, mould#352, haven't had a chance to try it on a live target yet.
30gr of Rx7 gives 1875fps, safe in MY rifle, YMWV (your mileage WILL vary). The 'rule of thumb' is to reduce 358Win loads by 10%, and I'd recommend that and then an additional 10% less for start loads. The lever actions with the rear bolt lockup can't take the same pressures as the bolt actions. Don't worry, the round has plenty of grunt, and recoil with top loads is substantial.
External dimensions are the same as the 358, just the addition of a rim, and you'll prolly find that a 30-30, or a 444 Marlin shellholder will work fine, I use a Lee #3.
Lots of boolits out there, and many of the 38Spec/357Mag moulds do just fine, check ur bore, u'll prolly need a .358 diameter.
The cartridge is a genuine 200yd lever action, you're gonna' love it!
Cheers,
R*2

Posts: 129 | Location: NorthEast | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you lucky dawg...

Posts: 1820 | Location: USA, Omaha, Nebr | Registered: 16 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just like Alberta Canuck, I discovered my Big Bore would use necked up .308 brass just fine. I've fired a bunch to test this fact and haven't had a failure to feed or eject. Started with mild loads and went to up to normal loads with the 220 gr. Speer and the reqorked .308 Lake City Brass functioned fine. I've done a fair amount of work with mine at the range but just never seem to take it hunting. I've seen some Big Bores sell for amounts that would make me part with mine in a second so I have to ask, what do you guys think is a fair value for one these days? Ed

Posts: 161 | Location: Seattle - temporarily! | Registered: 04 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not enuff info about your rifle:
1) Box & papers?
2) Accessories?
3) condition?
4) Win or USRA?
5) Safety Bolt yes no ?
6) Wood okay or NICE!

If a Winny $350-$550

Marlin $550 PLUS...

I just bought a Win 356 from the poster of this topic -at a fair market value- and its a keeper.

Now keep in mind once you sell yours it's gone and replacing it may cost your more...

Posts: 1820 | Location: USA, Omaha, Nebr | Registered: 16 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are the details: USRA, no safety, high comb stock, 99%+ condition (NO marks on metal, stock has two small handling marks), bought used so no box or papers), wood is neither plain nor spectacular. beltloop, thanks for any information or opinions as to value. I have seen a couple sell locally for unholy prices - of course there are two potential buyers that are out of the game. I hate to sell any rifle and have regretted one or two that I sold in the past. Still, it can be tempting to sell a couple when the siren song of a new custom can be heard in the wind. Ed

Posts: 161 | Location: Seattle - temporarily! | Registered: 04 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your Lever, should be a lot of fun.......

Posts: 87 | Location: On permanent vacation in the South West  | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote