THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    44 magnum Stainless Steel Marlin
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

44 magnum Stainless Steel Marlin
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have one of the new Stainless 1894 44mag Marlin lever guns? I just eyeballed a good picture of one for the first time today. I think they look great. I have the lever action bug. After buying my 45-70, lever guns seem to be the only rifles that catch my eye. The new Stainless metal, pale walnut or lightly stained maple stocks, maybe fiddleback black walnut with a strong red color. whats not to like? DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nanook 450
posted Hide Post
I have two blued 44 mag Marlin rifles, a Cowboy and an 1894P.

Both shoot best with 240 gr White Box Winchester factory ammo. The rate of twist of the barrel does not allow bullets over maybe 250 grains to stablize.

I love them both, and wish one were a stainless - I like the stainless/grey laminate offerings,

Posts: 247 | Location: Norman, OK & Marble Falls, TX | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to disagree on the bullet weight comment, as my 1894P shoots quite accurate out to 100yds with 300gr Nosler HP handloads.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a blued 20 inch round barrel model 6 years ago. I shot 200 gr rn fp cowboy load specials and full house 240 gr jacketed hollow point 44 magnum loads. I had a Marbles tang sight on it and it was surprising how accurate an old blind man could shoot it. I sold it to raise some much needed cash at the time. I will buy another one and really like the looks of the Stainless models. I would buy it with re-stocking it and installing another tang sight. as part of the plan. I'd like one with some nice wood and I think the Stainless would be the best platform. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could then send it to Gary Reeder and have him "vapor hone" the stainless so it is not reflective and it looks good too. Maybe even some engraved animals on it(or your name). I had him do that to a stainless Marlin guide gun and it looks great(I did leave the receiver polished though). If you want he will even "darken" the wood and it looks a lot better than the factory color. reedercustomguns.com

One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
Ok so who is Gary Reeder ?
full site please ?
address and phone # Please
Thanks concho

Don't take the chip !

Posts: 578 | Location: PA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gary Reeder is a custom gun builder in Arizona and does fine work. He works mainly on handguns, Ruger #1's and lever guns. His son Kase builds some fine semi-auto's too. His website is listed at the end of my other post. I have around 20 of Garys custom builds... maybe more. Check out his website.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am familiar with Gary's website. He does some great revolvers, TC Contender stuff, Custom and semi custom lever guns, etc. A friend of mine has a couple of single actions that Reeder has done for him. When you look at the cost of some of this work, the first impression is that it's too much. After seeing the finished product you wonder how they can do it so cheap and so good. DW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neat little guns.I bought one to carry in my boat for hogs and 2 legged snakes when I fish. Dave Clay has been putting the coon tune on it (for well over a year). Hope it is worth the time.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the stainless Marlins last year in 44mag. Accurate and currently being used for hogs. The stock is a laminate. The only beef I have is the screw holding the lever to the action tends to loosen after several shots.

Posts: 265 | Location: Bulverde, Texas | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HL

You might try degreasing the threads and then apply either some silicon rubber caulk or some automotive gasket in a tube "stuff" the kind that does not ever harden.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HL:
I bought one of the stainless Marlins last year in 44mag. Accurate and currently being used for hogs. The stock is a laminate. The only beef I have is the screw holding the lever to the action tends to loosen after several shots.

I have a stainless 1895. All the screws come loose, so I now use Locktite Blue on them. It does make it much harder to remove the lever screw for cleaning.

Well, at least have an OK day Smiler

Posts: 242 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote