THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Finally picked up my 1886 Extra Lite 45/70
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally picked up my 1886 Extra Lite 45/70
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Back before Chrsitmas I purchased a newly made 1886 extra lite 45/70 in the staes and I finally picked it up this weekend. This rifle is far superior to my marlin it's action works so smooth and it locks up so tight. The wood and metal work is also first rate, I have installed a lyman 66 wb on it and now all that needs doing is to cover up the dovetail slot where I removed the rear buck horn....also I was pretty hopelss with the receiver site...this was the first time I have used one

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kev,

originally it was bought to convert toa 50-110 but funds are tight at the moment.....also this one very sweet handling 45/70. I think I need a second to do a conversion

This 1886 el 45/70 is a far superior action and finish to my marlin IMHO.

How is your 50-110 going Kev ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
PC
Congratulations on the 1886. I've got one of the 1886 take down models with the full mag tube and octagnal barrels. The weight goes a long way towards absorbing the enthusiastic recoil of some of my reloads.
I, too, dumped the buckhorn site and installed a Lyman reciever site.
I'm sure you will enjoy
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

PC, are thinking of maybe down the road getting any custom work on it? Maybe a 50 AK or something,the 45-70 with some hand loads is going to hit hard also?,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote