New
Find
Notify
Tools

.357 rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a thing for pistol caliber carbines and rifles. I have been thinking that I need to get ahold of a .357 lever gun to control the rampaging infestation of oranges and tin cans around here, and possibly pop a deer some season.

What kind of velocities and accuracy can I expect from some of the 125 grain loads out of a 20" barrel? How fast do 110 grain pills run? I have a ton of those for my snubbie, seems like it might even give me an excuse to NOT buy an M1 carbine...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a marlin 1894 and use h110 behind a 158 gr rem sp for just over 1800fps. It is a 2 in rifle at 100. I have shot a couple of deer with and it works ok.

Posts: 19597 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I asked a similar question on several gun boards a couple of years ago. The general answer I got back was the rifles do OK with heavy bullets but the accuratcy is pretty poor with the lighter ones. I really like 125 gr out of a 357 revolver. I never did get a lever in it.

Posts: 967 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 28 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Marlin 1894 likes 16.0 grains Lil Gun, 180 grain Cast Perf. gas check bullet & CCI primer.