New
Find
Notify
Tools

Relining Win 1892 ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Approximately what does it cost to reline a center fire rifle barrel? Considering relining a 25-20. How accurate are relined barrels?
Thanks!

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
His number is (859) 635-5560--- very easy man to do business with- he starts your liners while you send out the check,a trusting soul. This is a man who makes liners call him for fees !

Don't take the chip !

Posts: 578 | Location: PA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim...

The cost of a re-line can vary quite a bit. The liner (for a 24" barrel) will be about $125-$150. The price a shop might charge can vary a lot but I would guess a "low" of maybe $300. I've installed a number of liners and, for me anyway, the drilling is very time consuming and that equals $ in a shop. Also, you will probably run into smiths that will not accept the job (or tell you it can't be done) because a .500" OD liner will be required for the 25-20. This will only leave about .050" of metal at the muzzle of most old Winchesters. My last re-line was a original Win. mod. 1873 sporting rifle (24" oct. barrel) in 32-20 WCF. It came out very nice and (at 100yds) is the most accurate lever gun I've ever owned. Slow, Careful, perfect drilling is the trick here but it can be done. I prefer TJ's liners over Redman/Brownell's and you can usually get a couple choices of twist rate.

Jon