New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 336
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Very curious....i have a old Marlin 336RC..(straight stock)..35 caliber...i beleive i have shot the barrel out ..if it can be done on a Marlin ...the question is....would it be worth rebarreling...should i sell it for the action(excellent condition)...what would it be worth???...has some small scratches on the stock...what do you people think...thanks in advance for any replies

Posts: 134 | Location: Eastern,USA | Registered: 03 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really doubt that given even a modicum of care, that it is possible to 'shoot out' a .35 Remington barrel. It could be abused beyond recovery by neglect, but shot out in the traditional sense, I hardly think so.

So, as mch as I would love to pick up your action for a song so I can have a 25-35 built on it, I would suggest....IF YOU WANT TO KEEP AND USE THE GUN, to give it a royal cleaning. Take it down and scrub the shit out of the barrel using a .375 bronze brush in the 35 bore and lots of Ed's Red or some other decent bore solvent, until a patch comes clean. THEN, hold it up to light and really look it over......geezus, I love to fool with old guns like this! I'll bet that unless that barrel has been allowed to pit really bad, it will still shoot. No need in telling you these lever rifles aren't target or modern varmint rifles and not to expect a tack driver even with a pristine bore. But, it should shoot a decent 2"-3" group at 100 yards with good loads off the bench. If it shoots 4"-5" groups, that's still minute of deer. If however, you are less than happy with the gun, I would be very interested in salvaging the action and wood if it isn't beyond saving and using it for a 25-35. I will not put a value on your gun and take a chance on insulting you. You price it and if it is more than I want to pay, I'll just say 'no thank you' and nobody is the worse off. email me: Jumptrap58@wmconnect.com

Posts: 288 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I could say it is or isn't worth re-barreling. I guess IMO that all depends on how much that gun means to you. You can likely pick up a new one less costly than the repairs, especially if you have to freight it to a smith. I saw two 35 Remington 336's just last week at a local shop. I'm not posative but I think they were around $500.

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote