Find
Notify
Tools

Now HERE is a levergun!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I have had the Italian carbine in .56-50. Fun to shoot. But this rifle version is incredibly cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br5sxqKzzVA

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16397 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Friend Bill: The Gemmer Spencers are really beautiful rifles. In 1974, my wife and I started The Mountain Man. A muzzleloading business in Manitou Springs Colorado. A very good friend had a real Gemmer Spencer. Sold it for big bucks but I got to fondle it quite q bit. Great Gun. We must have done something right. MY daughter still runs the business. CHEERS LUKE

Posts: 354 | Location: pueblo, Co. USA | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I was disappointed that the close-up footage of repeat firing did not show the action being recycled, and wonder why.

Posts: 4966 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
I was disappointed that the close-up footage of repeat firing did not show the action being recycled, and wonder why.

A few years ago InrangeTV did a comparison between a few of the early repeaters, including Winchesters, Spencers and the Trapdoor Springfield (which is of course a single-shot), and came to the conclusion that the Trapdoor is a better military rifle than the Spencer.
Seems it's quite fiddly to use.

Posts: 468 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Paul, good question. The Italian Spencers that I handled and shot weren't particularly "fiddly" but the sequence of having to cock the hammer and then firmly working the lever took some mental retraining to remember the extra step.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGSHapPH_f8

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16397 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill and Peter, yes, that needing to cock first does takes something from the romance (or add it).

I guess the Spencer was at least a little more powerful than the Henry. One thing that turned me off Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove was the way he wrote of the Henry, as though it had the power of a big 50.

Posts: 4966 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I watched the Inrange video. The Spencer was still faster. The opinion was the small increase in speed was not worth the logistics, training, and other perceived weaknesses of the Spencer over the Springfield Carbine.

Posts: 10902 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote