Notify
Tools

Re: Marlin 1895 - 45-70 Recoil
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cordell
posted
Mark G,
I will add my name to the ouch list! I have been shooting the 45-70 for 30+ years and have loaded up some hot ones but!!!!! Several years ago my wife bought me a 1895 (22") for my birthday, within an hour I had gone into the reloading room picked up a box of FL 405Gn bullets and was out at the bench. WHEW!!! it was an experience to say the least, I really wasn't expecting that much recoil. I am still a strong supporter of the 45-70, but will stick to the 300gn pills in the future. As far as what it compares to in recoil (from a bench) I would say my 870 shooting slugs. Take care and God bless.

cordell

Posts: 336 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 09 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So what is the recoil like on the Marlin 45-70's. What would you compare it too. I am talking about factory 300 grainers at around 1800 fps. Does it have the bite like a belted mag or is it more of a push. I am used to small & middle bore centerfires, what would you compare it too?

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO it definately has a bite in the guide gun. Plenty of Muzzle flip. I'd opt for the 1895 Cowboy if I get another. No more short ported barrels. I guess it depends on the belted mag and the shooter but mine certainly had a LOT more than my 270 Wby mag. No biggie standing but bench shooting wasn't a lot of fun for me.

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I couldn't say about the 300 grainers. I have shot mostly 400+ grain bullets at around 1500-1600 and the recoil is about like an '06. The sensation isn't a bite, more of a thud....which isn't a push. This gun won't hurt you unless you magnumize it..then it'll probably make you lower the charges! The 45 bore makes a 300 grain bullet not much more than an elongated ball. Recoil isn't much of an issue with them and they are fine for deer sized critters. I have owned a lot of guns in all sorts of calibers and the old 45-70 is one of the most fun cartidges there is. It's about like throwing high speed rocks..if any such thing exists. It loses most speed contests, but man, what a pile of dirt flies when it lands!

Posts: 288 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote