New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning 95 and 71
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have had a Browning 1886, 26" barrel, 45/70 for sometime now and a high quality piece. Recently acquired the two subject rifles and was hoping they would be as smooth and slick as the '86 and they definitely are. Not as heavy as the 86 and pointability is better to me with neutral balance point. Knew what to expect with the 71 for I had one sometime ago, but curious about the 95 and it's lever configuration. Seems like the "innards" drop out with the lever and the lever acually separates a bit to release, but as to smoothness it is excellent.
A bit awkward to re charge the magazine but after some practice it works fine. With moderate loads, '06, recoil is mild and easy to hit basketball size rocks off hand at 50-100yds with the open sights. Any reservations I had with the '95 are put to rest, excellent rifle.
As for the 71, it's generally considered one of the finest lever guns made and feel fortunate to have one again. The 348 cartridge is tough to come by, but it can be done and have stocked up a lifetime supply of brass and bullets. Most do not like the 200gr bullet in 348?? but those Barnes 250's should work on about anything in N.America at reasonable ranges.
Browning has not offered these three rifles for several years and the supply is drying up fast and if you want as close as you can get to the original Winchesters, these are the ones.
The High Grades of these rifles are outstanding, but would think only for collecting, but now got me thinking about matching these three up with their aristocratic cousins. May be forced to sell some of my match rifles or even worse my Harley!!

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I like the 95--- I have 3. The 86 and 71 are also very fine rifles. I am interested in getting a new winchester 71 and having it de-lawyered by Turnbull. It should be a very nice rifle. I just have to fight the urge to have it rechambered to 450 alaskan or 50 alaskan while he has it.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most do not like the 200gr bullet in 348??

Why do you say that...??
I've found the 200 Hornady to be an excellent bullet for Whitetail and hogs in my Win 71.

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
I like the 95--- I have 3. The 86 and 71 are also very fine rifles. I am interested in getting a new winchester 71 and having it de-lawyered by Turnbull. It should be a very nice rifle. I just have to fight the urge to have it rechambered to 450 alaskan or 50 alaskan while he has it.

There was a Browning 71 already chambered for 450 AK on GB a few weeks ago. Price was right.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don Edwards,
You will note I put ?? about the 200gr load and reason I did is that some of my older magazines, articles, etc. regarding the 200gr, it was pointed out that the round and it's intended purpose for larger game would be better served with the 250gr. Based on what you said about the 200gr loads, it works pretty good and would not think otherwise on game the size you mention. I have shot the 200gr loads in mine and they work fine, accurate, etc. If there were Moose, Brown Bears, Elk, etc. in WV I would use the 250's, but to date have not seen any and will use the 200's as well.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also have a couple of model 71s. While looking into making my own bullets from pure copper, I received 5 bullets from North Fork.
I think you should consider those. They look great and believe they are made with lead and gilding metal.
I was able to get one box of Barnes solids (pure copper), but now those are no longer being made.
I also have some factory 200s.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Nisbet,

Just to make everyone aware, North Fork Bullets are made from pure copper (even the solids) and the lead is Nuclear Grade meaning it is as pure and soft as one can make lead. We do not use gilding metal aka 95/5 that many other manufacturers use due to its likelihood of failure.

Just wanted to clarify.

Regards,
North Fork

North Fork Technologies
www.northforkbullets.com

Posts: 158 | Location: Philomath, Oregon | Registered: 26 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The hornady .348 interlock 200gr is not a bad bullet. Yes, there are better bullets out there, and heavier would be better for the really big stuff. I wouldn't hesitate thumping an elk or moose with them.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alaska Bullet Works makes an excellent 250gr bullet for the .348

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buffalo bore offers a 250 gr bonded bullet at a +P velocity however they are $$.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote