THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Disassembling a Marlin 444, 45-70, or etc. ??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disassembling a Marlin 444, 45-70, or etc. ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to be able to use my 17" bore-scope in my large-bore Marlin rifles. I can only examine the chamber end by inserting the scope into that end, since the scope will not otherwise reach. Is there an easy way to take down these large Marlin centerfire rifles without really opening a can of worms ?

Posts: 45 | Location: Houston | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marlin lever guns are one of the easiest to "take apart." Open the action by pulling lever part way down enough to cock the hammer. First screw to remove is the lever screw, and then simply pull out the lever and then the bolt will pull out the rear. You may have to press down a bit on the bolt as removing to depress the hammer a bit, but fairly easy to do. The ejector device is found in a recess on the rear left inside of the receiver and it may fall out, (do this on a table or white sheet area that you can see)but to reinstall you merely place back in the slot prior to sliding the bolt back in place when you are ready to do so. I have found that to put the bolt/lever back inserting the bolt some 2/3rds of the way, sliding the lever back in at an angle, not straight up and down, the contact lug of the lever will slide into the slot of the bolt(underside of the bolt) easier and then put the lever screw back in place, snug up and you are done. Removing the lever and bolt makes for easy cleaning of the Marlin from the breech end, not the muzzle. Very simple, strong design and trust me, if it were a Win.94, you would need a book and about four arms/hands!! Hope this helps.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MFD:
Marlin lever guns are one of the easiest to "take apart."

...if it were a Win.94, you would need a book and about four arms/hands!
The Winchester is easy to take apart too, just remove all the screws and shake. Getting one back together is the trick. Wink

I agree the Marlin 336/444/1895 is a snap.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Eeker yuck just spit my soda all over the keypad. that was funny!

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks MFD. I just purchased my first borescope, and it's on the way. I made a copy of your post and instructions so I will have it handy at my work table for when I'm ready to scope out my Marlin barrel. Appreciate the detailed input. Smiler

Posts: 45 | Location: Houston | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swordfish
posted Hide Post
Check out this link. It's to the 1895 online manual. It shows diagrams of how to do it.
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/...s/MFC_Centerfire.pdf

Posts: 242 | Location: Florida | Registered: 18 September 2008Reply With Quote