New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 89 Big Horn Armory
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
You read correctly--Model 89. Big Horn Armory's very nicely made lever gun combines the best of the '86 and the '92. Chambered in 500 S&W, it's made of 17-4 Stainless and has all the features I want--I ordered one at SHOT.

Worth a look at: www.bighornarmory.com

Dave Manson

Posts: 697 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Please let us know how it shoots and post some photos!!

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neat gun. When do you take delivery?

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the best things is that the guys at the SHOT show were fun to talk to. Nice bunch of people. When they get up and running and I find work again this will be a fun gun to play with.

Blake

Posts: 132 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 22 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When Winchester combined the best of 86's and 92's they called it the Model 71. Ones shown remind me of a 71 and if they can equal that, then they have done something for the 71 was the epitome of lever guns for Winchester. Would be a good companion with that monster S&W Performance Center 500S&W revolver. Progress never ceases.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Zola:

I'm told 3-4 months, but wouldn't be surprised if it were longer than that. I'll post pics and shooting results on this forum when it arrives.

Dave Manson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just saw an advertisement and did click on the web site.
Curious how this cartridge performs with a 22" barrel.
Interesting gun!

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Neat rig! I am interested also.Let us know what you think of it when you get it.Are you getting the carbine or the rifle?I also wonder what bullets it will feed as they are so many available,cast and jacketed from 275 Barnes to 700 Cast....I would like the Carbine with a half mag and 16" tube tu2

http://www.bighornarmory.com/products/carbine.php

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've ordered the carbine. I handled both at SHOT and preferred the feel of the carbine to the rifle; one more round in the carbine also. Will probably shoot 430-500gr bullets.

Basically, I like powerful, fast-handling thumpers and it seems to fill the bill. Will report when received and tested.

Dave Manson

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Let us know how she shoots!

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How big is the action compared to the 86 or the 92?

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I handled it, it had the width and look of the 86, but was 1/2"-3/4" shorter front-to-rear.

DManson

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
ANy owners or updates on these?? bewildered

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No updates on performance yet, 'cause the rifles are not done. I've followed the progress thru Frank E., a personal friend, and the problems encountered to date are typical of those faced during the transition from small-lot prototyping to larger scale manufacturing.

Mine is still on order and will remain so.

Dave Manson

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Ok,thanks!

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Back mid September I got a message from Frank E at Big Horn. He had a M71 that he was liking my 50 B&M Alaskan cartridge for. So we had several days of chit chat back and to via email. What a SUPER guy. He had Hornady make a special run of 400 gr .500 caliber bullets, same as the 500 gr, just 400 gr. I think for the 500 S&W in the new lever gun they are working on. Before you know it, Frank had sent me 100 of these bullets to shoot and test! I told him just a few would be fine, thinking 5 maybe 10 on the outside, he sends 100 of them!

I could not help myself, took a photo of the 100 piled up in a wad and posted them on the terminal thread

Shooting folks are the best!

I tested too, they held together well and did a good job.

I asked Frank about the 500 S&W lever gun and he enlightened me on some of the mechanics, and said they were behind schedule, and was now looking at December/January he hoped.

What a Super Guy! I am sure these rifles will be worth the wait no doubt about it. At least they are not rushing into it before getting them right! I would rather wait too instead of a big rush to get something out.

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
very nice...

BUT

if I could afford one I would want it in the 480R not the 500S&W....

but I can't afford one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Temmi,

You might consider looking into a Puma in 480 Ruger. There are two on GunBroker right now, one blue, one SS.

Brandon

Posts: 105 | Location: MD | Registered: 18 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
GunBroker

Thanks!

I knew that they had stopped making the 480R but did not know I could find one...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also ordered a carbine version. Can't wait to get this thing and shoot it! My friend bought a 500 S&W revolver and I had to have it in a lever gun!

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Any Velocity reports on these carbines/rifles???

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Checked in a few days ago. Delayed to April. I still think it will be worth the wait!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very old thread....and the saga (and wait continues). I no longer believe words I'm told. Each and every time there are the same answers...."We had an issue with XXX and we now have a new vendor. Should be another 3-4 months."

Nancy is sure sick of hearing from me. If it comes to fruition it should be amazing. But at this point I'd at least expect they call YOU to explain the extreme delay.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And I am no longer involved with them in any manner.........

Posts: 123 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 12 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got the Puma in 480 Ruger in both the blue and stainless. It's all I need in a nice handling lever using handgun type ammo.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I actually have one. Bought it from local gun dealer about six or eight months ago. It is the stainless carbine with a scout scope rail and a peep. Shoots fine at 25 yards which is all I have done with it so far. Pretty handy rifle in a caliber with punch...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
SOON,,,,I hope,,

My Big Horn Armory 500 is in Anchorage now,, we are patiently waiting for our ice to get thick enough for an airplane to land on,

Dies,brass, bullets,powder, primers, and Dillon are ready to go.

El Nino sucks,,,

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1414 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
I've had mine for a couple of weeks now! what a superb piece of work,, I loaded a pile of 350Horn @ 1700fps and it shoots lights out. Factory horn 500 @ 1600 same impact. It loads,feeds ,cycles,ejects, perfectly and with the sights and trigger as delivered can ring the 125yd gong nonstop. I pity the 1st brown bear that wanders into our yard this spring!!

Posts: 1414 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at the date on my first post--about friggin' time! I cancelled my order 1 1/2 years after placing it.

DManson

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I know of one sitting in a firearms establishment in Victoria, Texas right now. A blued rifle in .500 S&W. If interested, pm me or google Don's Firearms in Victoria, call him and ask for Don.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
My BHA is still pretty stiff after a couple 100 rounds but it shoots very good. Confidence inspiring enough for me to wade into 2 troublesome brown bears (on a local license) and kill them both at about 20'. BHA sent me 100 400gr Hornady and I'm shooting them at close to 2000fps. I plink with the 350's but the 400's seem to be a fine compromise with the 500gr Hornady, a little less recoil but I'll probably never recover a bullet. A fine rile in my eyes!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is the Bighorn Armory model 90 in 460 Smith and Wesson. Got it after a 2 year wait, and am very glad I waited. All I've done with it is miss a whitetail doe, but that big bullet whistling by her sucked all the oxygen out of her immediate vicinity and she..almost died from asphyxiation.. Mine is stiff too, but getting better.

Posts: 432 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Waterrat
Could you please tell us the brown bear hunts. Very curious to hear of the Hornady 400 grain performance.

Posts: 123 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 12 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MFD,
I really like both the 71 and 86 Win. but the 86s I've owned all shot better than the 71s and they are smoother and better built.

The 71 had some production short cuts, the later Jap made 71 added to production short cuts but it also shot better than any of the earlier Win. 71s...Just my experience and not a condemnation of the Win. 71, its a great rifle but I sold a lot of them in my search for a 1.5 to 2 inch gun.

Many of the 86s I have owned, mostly 45-70s and 45-90s shot in the 1.5 to 2 inch range at 100 yards. just speaking for myself and my personal experience.

Most of this acciracu is probably due to the heavy octagon barrels on the 86s..Ive seen them win many a iron sighted lever action turkey shoot, and Ive won a bunch with my 86s of that day and time.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Ray,
+1 on smooth 1886 action and accuracy.

The 9.5 pound 1886 .45-90 with 26 inch octagon barrel also make a good DG rifle.
Mine has taken bison, water buff, cape buff, ele, and leopard (OK, I admit that nearly any rifle will kill a leopard) and more.
There is not much that a .458 bullet at 2150 fps will not kill. (please, no comments from those who have not done this )

And it is sooo much fun to do this with an "obsolete" cartridge and old fashioned rifle without a scope sight. Cool

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote