New
Find
Notify
Tools

Open Sights Focus Problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am wanting to once again enjoy shooting several of my firearms using open sights. However I wear bifocals and have a devil of a time trying to focus rear & front sight on the target.
Suggestions please??
Thanks!
Jim

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
You should be focusing on the front sight blade only. The rear sight and the target should be blurry.

If you're still having trouble that way, try a receiver sight with peep, instead of the rear buckhorn barrel sight.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or you can try some of the fiber optic sights. I've gotten to that stage in my life where I can't use iron sights, but fiber optics still work just fine.

The brightness really seems to help.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crap, Jim, I wish all I was looking thru was bifocal's. I got tri's. For some reason I can still use my factory winchester sights on my 44 Trapper. At least to 100yds. Killed a pig at 85+yds last year using the factory sights. There're dead on.

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Receiver sights are great when used with fiber-optic front sight beads ... you look thru the receiver sight, focusing only on the front bead. That has been my usual solution, although I've removed my Williams FoolProof from my 45/70, and installed a Burris FastFire II. A great sight for my tired, old eyes. Only a little larger than the FoolProof and much quicker, and no focus problems.

Posts: 34 | Location: Two Rivers Alaska | Registered: 30 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, I don't know if this will help with your particular vision problems, but I have found in recent years that reversing the rear sight on my lever guns so that the sight extends toward the muzzle allows me to continue using iron sights, at least for the present. This shortens the sight radius a bit, but moves the rear sight further from my eye and decreases the fuzziness of focus. Of course, you still have to focus on the front sight, but the rear sight will still be somewhat clearer this way.

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the ways I have dealt with this issue was to have an optician (Bud Decot) make a special lense for my shooting glasses. One lense is my normal single scrip for seeing the target. The other is made to allow that eye to better focus on the iron sights. Keep BOTH EYES OPEN...your brain "figures it out".

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
True bifocals are a bitch. I went w/ blended lenses & if you can get use to them, there is a sweet spot your eye will find to allow better shooting. I agree Slim, pretty tought to focus on front rear & target so rear always gets blurred.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote