Notify
Tools

Pedersoli 1886 Sporting Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JohnWKiely
posted
Hi all,
Searching though this board I noticed a couple asking about the Pedersoli lever action rifle and if there was any updated info.

I recently purchased a new Pedersoli 1886 Sporting Rifle and thought I would post a few comments and photos.

Whilst I have only fired around 40 rounds through the rifle I have found that it functions perfectly. I found the trigger a little heavier than I would like
but the action is smooth and I have not had any loading/ejection problems as of yet.

I have been using reloads with new unprimed Hornady brass and Woodleigh 405 gn projectiles. Not only does the rifle have a great finish it shoot very well.
I have only used it in working up loads and am yet to use it in the field.

A few Photos.

50 metre group

100 metre group

Posts: 75 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,
That is the one I've been eyeballing. Looks stunning. Is the buttplate steel or plastic?

Are those Woodleighs jacketed or cast? Finally, I'm assuming smokeless loads or black powder?

I always thought about getting one of these and then loading up a bunch with black powder just as a 'fun' gun.

Posts: 222 | Location: Peculiar, MO | Registered: 19 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
A beauty indeed!
It makes my 1886 45-90 look plain (which it is) , but they both shoot well. Smiler

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnWKiely
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heeler75:
John,
That is the one I've been eyeballing. Looks stunning. Is the buttplate steel or plastic?

Are those Woodleighs jacketed or cast? Finally, I'm assuming smokeless loads or black powder?

I always thought about getting one of these and then loading up a bunch with black powder just as a 'fun' gun.

Hi,
Yes the butt plate is made of steel.

I have been using the Woodleigh 405 gn jacketed projectiles and smokeless powder. The load I am using is fairly mild and at about 1700 fps.

Posts: 75 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnWKiely
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
A beauty indeed!
It makes my 1886 45-90 look plain (which it is) , but they both shoot well. Smiler

Yes it certainly looks good. Very accurate as well. I am really happy with how it shoots.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
John, your rifle is certainly a pearler if I have ever seen one!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle. I've been wondering how Pedersoli's compare with Winchester's and Browning.

I love the 405 gr. Woodleigh's. I run mine to almost 2000 fps. They make a big impression on black bears.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Beautiful and straight shooting rifle! Thanks for the report.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13654 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote