THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Unertl Bases for Winchester 1892??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unertl Bases for Winchester 1892??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What Unertl bases are correct to use on an octagonal barreled Winchester 1892?
Thanks!
Jim

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any of them will work, even the ones tapered for round barrels. The tapered ones will obviously only touch the barrel at the edges but it will be plenty of contact. I did it all the time with large bore rifles. Ideally you want a long one for the rear and short one for the front. I would suggest .175" height for both, but you could get away with the front block being .050" taller. If you need more clearance for the ejection port then get taller blocks. Steve Earle makes all kinds of custom blocks even flat bottom for octagon barrels. He has a web site just google his name.

Posts: 28 | Location: DFW | Registered: 03 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone using or have used a Unertl scope on a Winchester 1892?
Thanks!
Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Jim, I have, on a 1892 re barrelled to 218 Mashburn Bee. Rear block with .860 hole spacing, .175" high, on barrel, just in front of receiver. Front block with .562 hole spacing, .175" high, mounted 7.2" on centers in front of the rearblock. This set up will work fine on an octagon barrel also. Be cautious of how far forward the front base is. This determines your eye relief. Even though most Unertl's are adjustable for eye relief, some are longer than others.

Posts: 28 | Location: DFW | Registered: 03 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, dieselten
Jim