New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to Lever Guns
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had always liked the looks of lever guns, but had always shied away in favor of bolt actions. Last year I bought a 444 Marlin handgun & while looking for other 444 items, ran across a Marlin 444P. It was love at first sight & it followed me home. Not long afterwards when Winchester decided to go out, I got a 444 Timber & a 444 Black Shadow, just in case I ever needed one. Of course, that made my 444P lonesome for a big brother & a 450 Marlin came into our home to keep it company. Am I ever going to use all of these?! Don't know & really don't care. I will find some use, somewhere or my sons will. A few weeks ago, my son told me that a guy at work had a 308 Savage for sale for $200. I told him to get more info. Turned out to be a Savage 99, a gun I had truly wanted, but did not want to pay the market price for. I told him I'd take it swight unseen. It turned out to be a Mint 1952 Savage 99 EG in 300 Savage, the exact gun I wanted to buy. And for $200.......WOW!! Gues it was his Grandfathers who gave it to him, but he did not hunt, so.... It will, for now, sit in the gun safe. Who knows?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I started deer hunting with a similar Savage, but got lost along the way and only recently returned to levers. The SS Marlins caught my attention a couple years ago and now I have both a 30-30 and a 35 Rem. No big bores yet though.

I'm pretty sure it's addictive.

"No game is dangerous unless a man is close up"
Teddy Roosevelt 1885.

Posts: 211 | Location: SEAK USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 1895 Cowboy is calling you...so are WWG drop in triggers -- mine measures at 2.25#s now w. no slop.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the first run 45-70 guide guns. Short, easy handling, and accurate. Sounds like the crack of doom when it goes off but I think that adds to the attraction...I feel that the porting helps with the recoil especially with the hotter loads.
That being said...the Savage 99 is the premier lever gun ever made. Accurate and easy handling...best saddle gun that I know of. Your acquisition sounds like a peach, especially since you got the internal rotary magazine, some of the later models had box magazines that were inferior to the rotary. The Savage was chambered in a variety of calibers but I prefer the .300 savage. It is a basic short action 30-06 comparable and will get the job done regardless what your shooting.
Enjoy...a lot of bolt hunting snobs dont appreciate levers...OK with me if they dont know what they are missing.

swede

"You are known by the tracks you leave..."

WyomingSwede

Posts: 44 | Location: North Central ND | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Taylor
I followed the same path you did with bolt guns.
I had been shooting a 375 Whelen that I had made for cast bullets and thought maybe the same 375 caliber in a lever would be fun.
The various 375 caliber cartridges are pretty anemic to work with the Winchester 94 and the Marlin 336 actions.
I shelved the idea until I read about the Winchester 95 action in 30-06, 405 from the factory and a whole slew of wildcat cartridges based on 30-06 and some European cartridges using the same head size.
I found a 30-06 and a 405. Both are real honies.
If you get a chance have a look at the Winchester 95.
Jim
I'm still looking for a Browning/Winchester 95 in 270 win. to convert to 375 Whelen.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over the years I have come to realize that most of my shots in some hunting areas were under 100 yards and often could be measured in feet, so carrying a light & handy lever action began to make sense. Almost like why a nice short barreled 20 gauge double for Grouse fits & a 3 inch mag, 30 inch barrelled 12 gauge doesn't.
For now, the Winchesters will sit in the safe with the Savage because time limits me from using all of the rifles that I own, but in 3 years an early retirement will allow me to use them all.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arkypete:
Taylor

I'm still looking for a Browning/Winchester 95 in 270 win. to convert to 375 Whelen.

Like you I am basically in the same market. My dream rifle a 35 Whelen in a lever. Anyone out there willing to sell a used lever to fill the bill.

Posts: 6 | Location: Abiquiu, NM | Registered: 21 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Like you I am basically in the same market. My dream rifle a 35 Whelen in a lever. Anyone out there willing to sell a used lever to fill the bill.

I found the Browning 95 in 30-06 in a local trading mag at a very favorable price. I'll suggest that you keep you eyes open in the used gun rack and classifieds.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote