THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    For Ray A."How to shoot from horseback"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For Ray A."How to shoot from horseback"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best way I know to support your local dentist!! beer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Best way I know to support your local dentist!! beer

Yeah, I once fired a shotgun while holding it high in the air with one hand - could not believe how it came down at me.

I wouldn't trust a horse not to buck me off if I fired from its back, either. Ours didn't like that sort of thing. (We also had a sheepdog that would go home if you so much as opened a rifle bolt within his hearing.)

Posts: 5015 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't even think of it! Eeker

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had fairly broke ranch horse that I was kinda liking, so decided to see if I should shoot around him..I fired my 54 caliber Great Plains muzzle loader off him and he flinched and made a little jump, I pulled him up and smiled and relaxed, then the smoke floated back into us and he broke in half, my gun went flying in space and crashed on the gravel in the driveway and snapped the stock in half, and he quiet bucking about a 100 yards down the road, and just in the nick of time..I later tought him to stay ground tied when I shot and that didn't take long, but I never have tried to shoot off ones back since that time..It can be done and its not hard to teach, but I see no use for it in a hunting situation, you couldn't hit anything between your breathing and his and he would be a little antsey and moving around as a rule. shooting a 22 around them while the eat is a good way start training them, start by using ear plugs on them, then without, let them associate food with gunshots, teach them to ground tie and use hobbles and shoot a bigger gun about 10 yard out in front of them..later remove the hobbles..The first couple of time you hunt off him carry 20 ft. of rope with a trap drag on the end of it..toss it out, step off and run a few yards out in front of him and fire off a couple of shots..after awhile the get used to it and your done. The drag catches on brush and pulls him around as he walks or tries to run off..If he is real bad run the rope under the cinch and it will pull his head down between his front legs and teach him to behave..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a thread on "How to rope a deer", or elk, grizzly, etc?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have roped a deer, antelope and an eagle, really I have roped an eagle.

My brother and I at about 18 to 20 years old, were checking fence and windmills and saw three eagles eating a goat, as we rode towards them they tried to fly but were bloated and would run and jump and fly about 20 yards, so I took after one and my brother another one..I missed my first loop as he slipped thru it, second loop around the body and one wing, I had him good. I would pull him to my mule and he would shy a bit, but I kept playing with the eagle, pulling him in like a fish then letting him run, then I pulled him real close and my mule was backing little so I spurred him and he jumped towards the eagle and the eagle got ole Media luz (one eye) by the leg and she dumped me big time in the rocks and cactus..My brother missed his (he never could rope as good as me). We doubled up and headed for the house as my mule and my eagle were last seen headed that way...Mom and dad were on the porch when my mule went by the house dragging about half an eagle..Dad looked at mom and said," damn mama, reckon how high that eagle was when Ray Jr. roped him?? the subject comes up at every family reunion of course...The deer and antelope were less interesting but kinda exciting but that's when I decided dalling my rope might be a better way... Big Grin

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not rope an elk or a grizzly, well I might have in my younger days, but never had the opertunity..I did see my dad and uncle rope a black bear as streatch him out, They had to cut his throat to get their ropes off him, guess that's politically incorrect these days..But we ate that bear so it didn't go to waste. I never quite knew if they were poachers or slashers! Oh, it was in Mexico btw and they gave half the meat to the Federales..I was about 8 or 9 years old I guess. I have seen dad and my uncles rope deer, ear mark them and turn them loose. It was sorta a family past time with a lot of ranchers in those days, well it still is in that area..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120