Find
Notify
Tools

1886 into a 50 Alaskan
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted
I have wanted a 50 Alaskan for many many years.

1. Where can I get this done on my 1886 (new) "non" break down.

2. Will they rebore the barrel? Or replace it.

3. Will this be a good action for it?

4. How much will it cost?

5. What xo I tell my wife this time. Roll Eyes

thanks in advance. Maddog

Joshua 24:15
www.teamfaithfull.net /
My granddaughter
"Multitudes loose the sight of that which is, by setting their eyes on that which is not".

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably not much help to you, but there used to be a firm that did such conversions in Alaska(Wild, Wild, West??) As for the action, would most likely be the only one you could use from what I have read so you should be good to go there. I would have conversation with Turnbull even though they have their own proprietory rounds these days. Figure Turnbull would do a complete rebarrel job, no rebore.
As to cost, anywhere from 2500 to 4,000 w/ complete reblue, handwork, fitting, etc. Good luck with your project.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of the two, I would have Turnbull do the work. Have seen lot's of his work and it is flawless every time. Wild West. . . . . not so much. . . .

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Mad Dog,
The 1886 is a great place to start on the conversion. You can figure about $1200 to get the job done with a rebore, add up to $800 for a new barrel depending on length wanted. I have some photos of my Turnbull 50 AK on the gunsmith tread here under "Why not use Turnbull". Once you use it on game, the 45/70 will be a distant memory!! dancing

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mad Dog,
I had Doug Turnbull do a 50-110 Winchester conversion on a 1886 w/a 28" octagon barrel in charcoal blue, the work is flawless.
I added a lyman peep, and the rifle shoots 525 LBT's @ 1850 fps, into -2" @ 50 yds off sticks.
Its a boss-hog sledgehammer on porkers.
Good luck.

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
I had Turnbull Restoration convert my Marlin 1895 to .470 Turnbull and color case harden receiver, etc.

The work was first rate.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Turnbull!...nuff said.

Posts: 73 | Location: WI | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Regan Nonneman does this conversion. Check it out at www.leveractions.com

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bogus mcall:
Regan Nonneman does this conversion. Check it out at www.leveractions.com

I Highly recommend you get a reasonable approximate delivery date with your Lever-smith! I learned the hardway! Mad

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DUKE NUKEM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Thimm:
Turnbull!...nuff said.

Go with Turnbulls. I think last time I checked it was $900.00

Posts: 1073 | Registered: 10 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might also get ahold of JES reboring to see if he will do it. I know he gets $230 for the re-bore w/3 groove or $250 for 4 or 5 groove rifling. He did a Pedersoli Sharps rebore to 50 AK for me and it shoots as good as my eyes can shoot open sights now.

DRSS
Beretta 45-70 belgian mag
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I very recently saw a 50 AK in GB....converted from a Browning 71. Maybe you can still find it....I think it remained unsold.
Well......I looked again for it, and could not find it.
Sorry.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
I have sweet one that I am goint to list on classifieds shortly..A DRC(Dave Clay) Browning conversion in 50/110! 20" Octagon,Pg stock of nice wood,receiver sight,ful maazine and I also have 8 Box of 50/100 Buffalo Bore New ammo for it(525 cast at 1900fps).... tu2

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote