Find
Notify
Tools

1895 Winchester questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen,
I am a vintage double rifle guy, but I have always wanted an 1895 Winchester 405. Well I found one in a friends gun store. It appears in good condition. Stock has many dings, but no bad gouges. All the bluing is gone and it has a very light patina. The rear sight has been modified by someone, who soldered a piece of thin plate to it with a poor atempt at a peep sight.
My question is: what year was it made? Serial #44167.
Asking price is $2495. Is this reasonable?
Thanks, ND

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$2500 a good deal? Are you kidding? Run away...very fast and don't look back. For that price you should be able to purchase one in 85-90% condition. I would offer, maybe $1500 if you want an original but you would be better off paying the same $1500 for a new/newer used one.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure someone can date the rifle for you , but as pointed out that price is very steep. Now if it was on TR's safari or some historic documents to go with it, the price would be up there. I also had been shopping for an original Winchester 95 in 405 and came across a few in the mid teens plus a bit. Couple looked decent, others were well worn and just gave up the chase and went with Browning 95 in '06.
Little if any collector value, but planned on using quite a bit so settled for second best. Must say that an original in 405 in very good condition at a fair price would be a fine one to have.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodrow S:
$2500 a good deal? Are you kidding? Run away...very fast and don't look back. For that price you should be able to purchase one in 85-90% condition. I would offer, maybe $1500 if you want an original but you would be better off paying the same $1500 for a new/newer used one.

+1

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrodave:
Gentlemen,
I am a vintage double rifle guy, but I have always wanted an 1895 Winchester 405. Well I found one in a friends gun store. It appears in good condition. Stock has many dings, but no bad gouges. All the bluing is gone and it has a very light patina. The rear sight has been modified by someone, who soldered a piece of thin plate to it with a poor atempt at a peep sight.
My question is: what year was it made? Serial #44167.
Asking price is $2495. Is this reasonable?
Thanks, ND

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=222975202

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
Many thanks! I appreciate the advice. It sounds like this one is overpriced. It is not in near as good of condition, as the 1915, on gunbroker. It is older though... Sn#44167 versus Sn#79000. It also had a much more curved steel buttplate, schnable forend with horn v-inlay. It didn't have that strap around the barrel and forend either.
Comparing to what you men have stated, this gun sounds like it should be $1000-$1200 range?
Thanks again to all, for the advice! I greatly appreciate it.
ND Smiler

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
More research on a Winchester collectors site shows this gun to be:

model= sporting rifle (not "fancy" model)
butt stock= straight grip w/crecent butt plate
condition= "good"
receiver= not a "flat side" pre 5000 serial#.
Date= SN#44167 I would like to know date. Would have to be pre 1905

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Nitrodave,
If you are looking for an 1895 .405 WCF "shooter" and do not want to pay collector prices or risk having to correct someone elses accuracy or functionality problems, you may want to consider one of the Browning or Winchester "repro" models made by Miroku of Japan. A standard rifle can be had for less than half (1/2) the price you listed for the old used 1895 and a Deluxe version can be found for $2500 - $3000.
Here is a photo of my takedown .405 "shooter" along side of my unfired Deluxe .405. The Winchester 1895 is a fine handling hunting rifle that can be easily handloaded for taking any thing from watermelons to really large game.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SN#44167 was built in 1904 per my book. Hope this helps, Joe

Posts: 332 | Location: eastern oregon usa | Registered: 21 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
Thank you for the education. This will be a big help as I begin my search.
Thanks, ND

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Nitrodave - here is a current link on the Miroku/Winchester 1895 in .405 that you may find interesting and useful; looks like a fair price on an ASNIB rifle:

http://www.levergunscommunity....opic.php?f=1&t=34905

Enjoy!

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
oops, too late the Miroku / Winchester .405 sold in less than a week.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at