Find
Notify
Tools

.400 Marlin???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of whiplash
posted
Just watched Monster Bucks XI. One of the hunters mentioned and used his wildcat caliber he called .400 Marlin. It was a Marlin lever gun. From what little that was shown of the cartridge,Iam going to guess its something like a .450 Marlin necked down to .40 caliber. Anybody heard of this, or has info on it???

Posts: 158 | Location: Grand View, Idaho | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember reading in the American Rifleman two years ago an article by one of their staff members who had developed a .40 caliber wildcat based on a necked down .450 Marlin case. Seems he was trying to duplicate or improve on the performance of the .416 Alaskan. He had a Marlin 1895M rebarreled from .450 Marlin to his wildcat. I think he called it the .400 Marlin or .416 Marlin. Just can't remember which issue it was in. Anybody else remember?

Posts: 47 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: 23 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Does that about equal the .405 Winchester?

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recall reading an article on it somewhere but can't quite remember where. Maybe AR. Anyway, I recall some of the details and IIRC, it was a .400 diameter round using the same as 10mm/.40s&w/.38-40. After I read it I ordered my .405 Encore rifle barrel so It wasn't what I was looking for. I've seen a couple of .40-something conversion of .45-70 Marlins though. Good luck in you search.

Found reference
Quote:

* American Rifleman, April 2002, pgs. 20 - 21, Shooting Editor, Scott E. Mayer, uses Load From A Disk ballistics program to develop the .400 Marlin Wildcat cartridge. Predicted velocity was 2,500 f.p.s. for the 180 gr. bullet. Actual chronographed velocity, from the completed rifle, was 2,525. Scott states that, "The current tools and technology make wildcatting easier than it ever has been before. If you have been kicking around the idea, you should go for it and make a cartridge all your own."

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote