Find
Notify
Tools

32-20
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted
Picked up a little Marlin 1894CL in 32-20 today.

We saw it last Sat at a nearby Gander Mountain and I thought it was on their used rack, but it was new. My birthday is tomorrow and the Wife said to get it so we went out for the day and brought it home.

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
GOOD JOB!! You will like loading for and shooting that rifle. My Son has just about taken over my 92 Winchester in that caliber!

Cast and load your own and shoot for almost the same cost as a .22 LR.

And don't be afraid of taking a deer at something under 100 yards, it'll do it just fine!

Regards,

WE

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
Well, I have been collection ammo. Picked up a couple of boxes locally and found some at a very good price at gunshow over in Jackson, Ms last weekend.

I order bulk brass, cast bullets, and dies from Graf's but most items are on backorder. I forgot to order a mold but will get one later.

The stock on this one had attractive grain and apparently some areas with very open pores. The factory finish was very thick and must have soaked into these areas fast leaving deep streaks in the finish. Today I removed stock and forearm, scraped them down, lightly sanded, then applied one coat of Alkanet oil ( ground alkanet root, linseed oil and turpentine) wiped down then started with my Slackum oil( Boiled linseed carnuba wax, Venetian turpentine, and plain turpentine) and while quite flat now it looks much better with more of a red hint. After a few weeks daily applications of this mix the grain will be filled and an even low gloss will apppear. Will be a nice looking little rifle.

I really got this one for my wife, who does not like recoil, so she can have something much bigger than a 22, purchase just happened on my birthday

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good WIFE

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sixgun Symphony
posted Hide Post
I am looking forward to a range report. :-)

Posts: 1254 | Location: USA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote