THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Help Wanted - Marlin 50 Alaskan trigger cutting trigger finger
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help Wanted - Marlin 50 Alaskan trigger cutting trigger finger
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted
Now that my trigger finger is bleeding...I'm finding out that Marlin big bore conversions can come with a nasty side-effect.

I bought a used Wild West Guns Marlin 1895 converted to 50Alaskan. I plan to have a WWG Trigger Happy kit installed and hope it fixes the finger cutting but thought I'd ask if any knows a garaunteed remedy for the trigger cutting the shooter's trigger finger...?

Posts: 1327 | Location: SW Pennsylvania | Registered: 17 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I assume it's cutting the finger behind the trigger guard, not your trigger finger? They make soft rubber pieces that attach to the back of the trigger guard for just such issues. Any shotgun pro shop will have them.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, wear gloves.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Adding some length to stock might also help.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
The trigger is cutting my trigger finger. The front corners of the trigger are thin and pointed. At some point during the recoil, the floppy Marlin trigger is catching my trigger finger. I was thinking that the stationary WWG Trigger Happy kit could be the answer but hoping to learn from experience first.

To be quite honest...if I have to always wear gloves to shoot this rifle...I won't use it! If I have to add length...I don't want to deal with it.

Thanks for the ideas.

Posts: 1327 | Location: SW Pennsylvania | Registered: 17 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Well, you have explained the problem better. If the floppy trigger is the problem then that's part of what the WWG kit is supposed to fix. Regarding the trigger shoe, have you tried shooting the rifle without it? I don't like those and never use them.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
I apologize for my terminology ignorance. There's not a separate trigger shoe piece. I was thinking the front face of the trigger where the trigger finger is placed was referred to as the "shoe". Always learning... I'll edit my post accordingly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since you "stole" that rifle out from under me, I should let you bleed to death, then buy it for peanuts from your estate! :-)

One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
You might be able to buy it for peanuts before the estate gets a hold it if the WWG Trigger Happy kit doesn't resolve the issue BOOM

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I had this happen to me,the trigger itself was cutting my finger on a heavy recoiling double rifle,it was an easy fix,my smith sanded down the edges of the trigger & the problem went away.

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear a simple fix worked. Thanks.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple4:
The trigger is cutting my trigger finger. The front corners of the trigger are thin and pointed. At some point during the recoil, the floppy Marlin trigger is catching my trigger finger. I was thinking that the stationary WWG Trigger Happy kit could be the answer but hoping to learn from experience first.

To be quite honest...if I have to always wear gloves to shoot this rifle...I won't use it! If I have to add length...I don't want to deal with it.

Thanks for the ideas.

The happy trigger kit is a nice upgrade for a better trigger pull. Like mentioned above, try smoothing the one you have first on the edges.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
If I may quote the infamous Roscoe P. Coltrane..."Good News!! Good News!"

Installed a WWG Trigger Happy kit and the new trigger is amazing! Not only is the trigger finger slicing over but the pull weight is now 3lbs.! Day and night difference from the factory (floppy razor blade) trigger.

I have no dought that sanding the sharp edges off the factory trigger would fix the slicing but the Trigger Happy kit was worth the cost.

Thanks to everyone for your input!

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Will the Happy Trigger kit work on a regular 1895 Marlin?

Measured the trigger pull on my .45/70 and it is 5lb 8oz. Would like to get it to a better weight.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:

Measured the trigger pull on my .45/70 and it is 5lb 8oz. Would like to get it to a better weight.

It works on any 1895 or 336 Marlin.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
My 50Alaskan conversion is a Marlin 1895 with a new barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

it will be between 3 and 4 pounds, takes a screwdriver to remove the stock and lever and about 4 minutes to change out the trigger. Marlins are easy to work on! While you are at it, you might want to get a Longhunter spring kit and change out the springs. It will smooth the action and make the cycling easier. You will have to remove the springs to do the trigger, might as well do it all.

one of us
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Wear gloves and slow the loads down to 1100 to 1300 fps. It is not a varmint rifle. It might even be quite a bit more accurate at that velocity with lead bullets.

One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
buckeyeshooter: That's a sweet Turnbull 50AK with an octagon barrel!

curveball: Thanks for the advice. I installed a WWG Trigger Happy kit and the new trigger does not cut my trigger finger. Personally, I wouldn't be happy with the rifle if I had to wear gloves and slow it down that much. I may try lead bullets for accuracy though... IF it doesn't sell. I currently have it in the classifieds and I second guess that decision every day!

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
buckeyeshooter,
that is a nice rifle for sure,do you prefer the Marlin for a big bore conversion over the 1886 or win 71?

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Buckeyeshooter - I could not find the long hunter spring kit through google search. But I was considering the BearProof Ejector when I do the trigger. I'll keep searching for the Spring kit so I can order everything at once.

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
Buglemintoday...here's some resources I used for my WWG trigger install. First link offers an easy alternative to the spring kit...as well as suggested spring replacement parts that can supposedly be bought at Brownells.
Also, Bearproof ejectors are a very easy upgrade to install.

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar185.htm

http://www.marlinowners.com/fo...637?page=1&_k=4543wa

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
buckeyeshooter,
that is a nice rifle for sure,do you prefer the Marlin for a big bore conversion over the 1886 or win 71?

I have a Turnbull 86 in 50-110 also. The reason I went with the Marlin was lighter weight and the ability to put a scope on it if I wanted to in the future. To be honest, I have not fired the 50-110 yet as I have been outside the USA for several years. It was a special build, it has a 36 inch barrel. I plan to use it in long range rifle side matches in cowboy action shooting. The 36 inch barrel gives it 10 rounds in the magazine will be lots of fun with black powder .

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Very nice!

Buckeyeshooter - I could not find the long hunter spring kit through google search. But I was considering the BearProof Ejector when I do the trigger. I'll keep searching for the Spring kit so I can order everything at once.

http://www.longhunt.com/storel...uct/category&path=88

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
quote:
Very nice!

http://www.longhunt.com/storel...uct/category&path=88

Perhaps they are doing maintenance on the site. When I found that page there was no products for sale under the Marlin section

one of us
posted Hide Post
sorry, maybe. Or maybe they gave up because the Remlin guns are so bad? Mad

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
sorry, maybe. Or maybe they gave up because the Remlin guns are so bad? Mad

I hope not. I purchased my dad a Remlin GBL when they were first coming out and it has an issue after a shot of ejecting a shell/action locking up.

wonder if some of these modifications would help it

one of us
posted Hide Post
They would, the spring kit really decreases how hard you have to work the lever, the hammer spring is also very heavy so again more resistance to overcome. The kit I mention came with plastic inserts for the spring ends to increase the spring tension and they told you how to set the gun up for each chambering. The pistol rounds were different set up than the 30-30 and again different for the marlin expresses and 45/70's. I have them in a 50 Alaskan, 2 45/70's, a 308 ME, a 35 Rem and a 44 mag. I prefer this to 'stoning' the trigger, because I am not good at that but remove and replace and polish the places the metal rubs the blue off, like the side of the hammer, I can do. Add this to the happy trigger and you have a real smooth rifle. For the 44 mag which I cowboy shoot with, I added a steel 1 piece firing pin. As it negates a safety in the bolt, I would not recommend it for a hunting gun, but this also smoothes the gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Triple4,

I warned you bout that trigger cutting my finger Smiler. I have a permanent scar on my finger from it.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 422 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
You did! But the draw of the 50AK was too much! I managed to fix the cutting issue by installing a WWG Trigger Happy kit.