THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Winchester M71 in .33 Winchester........
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester M71 in .33 Winchester........
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
Today is my day to likely get flamed...maybe even put on a spit for a few hours and throughly roasted, toasted, basted, etc. Anyway, here goes:

I'm sure you have all heard that the Model 71 Winchester was ONLY factory barreled and chambered for the .348 winchester.

I find that hard to believe, as I have owned one some numerous years ago in .33 Winchester.

Before anyone shouts "That is impossible...it had to be an after-market re-barrel", or whatever, here is a quote from the Winchester Sales Manual of 1938:

"the gun chambered to handle .33 caliber can also be furnished on special order"....

(And, yes, Virgina, Winchester once thought enough of its products hat it produced and distributed sales manual(s) so that its products were properly represented by Winchester regional reps and major distributors. In those halcyon days, they would make many things just because a single customer or more wanted them, and they sold lots of special order guns.....)

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No flame here AC. IIRC George Madis in his The Winchester Book states that the 71 was chambered in 33 Win. For the unbeliving, I will look up the page when I get home and add it to this post.

My bad, Madis in his 1961 edition states"Caliber .348 Winchester, which had been developed for this model, was the only cartridge for which the 71 was chambered except for experimental models."

Now I have to find where I read it, for I have seen reference to the fact they were also made in 33Win and 45-70 by a reliable collector.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the oppertunity to buy one in .33 WCF around 10 years ago. I passed because it had a mail order proof mark ( double proof mark). Yes, they did make this gun in .33 WCF. They also make afew in .45/70. I saw one of these at the OGCA show when it was held at the IX Center back in the 90's.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote