Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin BigBore vs 336?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Im new to Marlin rifles.

Is there any difference (other than caliber) between the Big Bore serie and the 336 seire of rifles?
I mean, have they the same action?

Thanks
Martin

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
I believe you will find that the 336 action is the same used on the "big bore" other than some slight modifications made to the ejection port.
30-30 caliber versions of the 336 ejection port is not opened up as much as say the 45/70 caliber. Trigger plate, trigger, lever, safety mechanism, stocks, etc. are of same basic design. Recent versions of Marlin centerfire rifles do have a fluted bolt, stainless steel, laminated stocks, and so on, so there are some differences, but I am not aware of any design changes from the 336 to Big Bore. There is reported from time to time a problem known as the "Marlin jam...," which occurs on older, well used rifles, but I have not experienced it myself. All in all, good firearms for their intended purpose-hunting. My preference for the Marlin Big Bore is the 45/70Gov't caliber, good for about any game out to say 200 yards. The Marlin Cowboy version in 45/70 is my first choice.
Sure others may give you more details, answers that would be of help. Good hunting!!

martin

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much Martin!

I have read that the first .444 rifles were sold as Model 336 and the they release the Model 444.

Thanks
Martin

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Actually, there is one engineering change that the new rifles have chambered in 450 marlin, 308me and 338me. The new 'high pressure' rounds have a different pitch thread cut into the barrel and reciever. This new thread gives greater surface area and increases strength in the attachment of the barrel. As said above, the 336, 1895 and 444 are otherwise all the same gun with different chamberings and names.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote