THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Re: Marlin 1895 GS guide gun 45-70
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Marlin 1895 GS guide gun 45-70
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For shots up to 150 yards, 2-7X power scope is good enough.

I have a 2-7X32mm Bushnell Elite 3200 on my 1895. The Elite has a life time transferable warranty as well. I use 2X power most of the time hunting in the woods.

Danny Boy

Posts: 157 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For us Aussies spers and Hornady's are often dearer !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
I have a Leupold Vari-X II 1-4x20mm on mine and it works great. The Leupold VX-II 1-4x20mm is even better.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cordell
posted Hide Post
bigboresixguns,
Please stop back at the big bore site and see what 416SW has posted. He is right, there are some heated discussions (and always has been, on all forums) regarding the 45-70 but it was not ment for you to retract your post. Please come back and visit! Oh by the way, Rick R is correct watch your fillings at the bench. Thanks Rick R, I thought it was just me!!! Take care and God bless you and yours.

cordell

Posts: 336 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 09 September 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a 1895 with red dot that I hunt hogs with.It will print 1" at 50yds with 300 gr. Winchester factory loads. dead center.I love the fast acquisition. Steve

Posts: 17 | Location: oklahoma,usa | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently picked up a stainless GG. I think it will be a great medium range big game gun. I also like the quick follow up shot capability. I would trust 4 quick 405gr bullets at 1800-1900fps as pretty good bear medicine. I went with XS scout scope mount with 2.5x leupold scout scope with heavy post reticle. I also went with the xs ghost ring sites too. The warne quick release rings make it easy to switch from ghost ring sights to scope.

a look thru the scope

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a Leupold 4x compact on my 1895GS and have used it in Africa twice: Aug 2003 & June 2004 with excellant results on plains game.

I only use my own handloads and the 45-70 is as much fun to handload as it is to shoot. The 405 CPB/LBT is a fine hole puncher through just about anything I hunt, over 50 grs. of RE7 with Win. components. But, my favorite hunting bullet is the Hornady 350 gr. JRN, which is a thick jacketed bullet originally designed for 458WM velocities. It holds up well and expands well in big game. Very accurate over 48 grs. of RE7 or 60 grs. of 748.

Recoil with my GS is a hard push akin to a 12 ga. 3" Mag out of a light shotgun. I am 5'8" and about 200 lbs. and can take about 10 or 15 off the bench before my cheekbone and shoulder begin to complain. Offhand or standing off a rest I have little felt recoil if I hold on tight. Hunting, as usual, I have never felt anything or don't remember it...

Regardless of what anyone has to say, the 1895GS is a bulldog of a gun that is quite capable, in my experience, of handling just about anything I care to hunt in North America or Africa.

For the big thick-skinned critters like Cape buff or hippo (I won't hunt or shoot predators, elephant or rhino) I would probably take a 375H&H bolt-gun with 300 gr. solids or a WWG .50 Alaskan levergun (450 gr. pill @ 2,040 fps/4198 fpe) and ala Saeed, go for the head/neck/spine shot.

Posts: 180 | Location: Mt. Vernon,Ohio, USA | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote