THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Win 1886 45-90 Shooting smokeless
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win 1886 45-90 Shooting smokeless
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tim416
posted
I have an 1886 in 45-90. The gun was manufactured in 1888. I would like to take it to Africa on my next buffalo hunt but am somewhat concerned with shooting the fully jacketed bullets and smokeless loads. I do not know what problems may occur with the higher pressures and so forth. I have been shooting 300 gr. cast bullets with light smokeless loads.
This gun is in great shape with a bright bore. It has been professionaly restored so I am not concerened with hurting collector value.
Thanks for any input.

Posts: 254 | Location: Maine, USA | Registered: 02 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very safe with about anything your shoulder can take. I would suggest that you contact Doug Turnbull here in this forum for a professional opinion.

1886's are really strong.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Tim,
My Miroku Winchester 1886 .45-90 has been to Africa and killed a couple of things. We havealso experimented (played) with quite a few bullets and loads for thin skinned and thick skinned game.
If you determine that your rifle is safe to shoot heavy loads,let me know when you begin to load your hunting ammo and I will share some successes and failures with you.
BTW, there are many sources of .45-90 loads on the internet and all it takes to find them is Google and a little time. Here is a fun place to begin, on the Wolfe Pubs site
http://www.loaddata.com/member...iberid=26&header=.45 Caliber Reloading Data

Enjoy

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems like I recall reading sometime ago that the early 1886's were not as strong as later ones and stout loads could be a problem?? Might want to double check on the wisdom of feeding your rifle stout smokeless loads. Just a suggestion.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote