THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Anyone had any experience with Henry Lever .45-70?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone had any experience with Henry Lever .45-70?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Local gun shop has one in near new condition at slightly better price. I was interested in the way they load magazine.

Any comments, accuracy, function, etc.?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of links:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/comp...1895G_henry45-70.htm

http://www.tactical-life.com/m...er/henry-h010-45-70/

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one, the fit and finish is way better than the new Marlins we are getting in NZ.
The accuracy so far with the only projectile avaiable at this time of shortage the bulk Rem 300 gr hp is ok. 1.5" at 100yds with 55gr AR 2207 for 2150fps but my 444s Marlin will do 1.5" at 170yds. I think the 400's if any make it to NZ will do better.
The function out of the box was flawless and smooth but after 400 or so rounds the last round in the mag will not feed if the muzzle is pointed down.The little peg that locates the inner tube to the outer has worn a groove that allows the inner to move out enough that the spring follower cannot clear the last round.It works fine from horizontal and up.I took it in for a warranty repair but there are no spare parts in the country yet so I fixed it by sticking a copper shim to the follower.The tube load is something I am ok with and a nice safe feature when unloading at the days end. It's not a combat gun, 5 shots is more than enough for hunting but habit does have me reaching for a loading port sometimes.

John
New Zealand DRSS
450 - 3 1/4" BPE
Burning Nitro

Posts: 47 | Location: Rotorua New Zealand | Registered: 01 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
John HM ,
What game are you shooting with that big boomer?

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Red deer, Sambar, Pigs and goats also the odd Rabbit just because.

John
New Zealand DRSS
450 - 3 1/4" BPE
Burning Nitro

Posts: 47 | Location: Rotorua New Zealand | Registered: 01 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Local gun shop has one in near new condition at slightly better price. I was interested in the way they load magazine.

Any comments, accuracy, function, etc.?

I have owned one for about a year. Put together nice, slick action, decent trigger and accurate. Have a 1.5x5 Leupold on mine and it will easily shoot 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards.
So far so goodSmiler

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mine is accurate, reliable, comfortable to shoot and good looking. I prefer it to the Marlin 1895! Dennis

Posts: 9 | Location: Florida | Registered: 12 May 2006Reply With Quote