New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red Dot or Scout scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've fitted a Scout scope mount to my light weight 16" barrelled plastic stocked Marlin 1895 45/70 pig gun. Should I use a red dot, holosight or Scout scope for pigs/sambar deer in the forest.

mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW: I put a B & L 2x EER pistol scope on mine, and LOVE IT...!!
Cheers,
Don

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
ive got a millet electronic reddot 1x scope on my ruger #1 .458..... i love it... its handling the recoil...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put one of those Millets on my .458 bolt gun also. Called the Millet folks first to get their opinion on how it would do....they didn't see problem. That was several yers ago, and thus far...neither have I.

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AussieMike:
I've fitted a Scout scope mount to my light weight 16" barrelled plastic stocked Marlin 1895 45/70 pig gun. Should I use a red dot, holosight or Scout scope for pigs/sambar deer in the forest.

mike

I have a leupold scout scope for sale 99.9% condition pm me if interested. I may be hard to catch over the coming days due to a house move though so will be on line sparodically.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Against moving targets at close range nothing beats an aimpoint.

Well, a sighting laser works but they are illegal because they "project a beam of light"
which is forbidden in most jurisdictions

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
I have a Trijicon Reflex, with the 6.5MOA dot, on my sambar rifle. I like the Reflex because:
1. It was designed for military use and so is 'grunt-proof',
2. The approved method of cleaning is to wash in clean water - so the rain doesn't bother it, and
3. It doesn't require batteries and there is no on/off switch - so it is always ready for use.

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote