Find
Notify
Tools

big loop lever
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted
ok i am wanting to put a big loop lever on my marlin 336, but before i go and spend $179 on a wild west lever, how are the marlin factory big loop levers that come on some of there models. i can order one from marlin for $51.00

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Probably no problem in putting it on and having it work. But with the takeover of marlin and Remington making the guns now, the quality of finish has gone down. Meaning, many parts like levers have sharp edges and machine marks. If you are ok with the chance of working on it and then installing it, then go ahead.
Also be aware another complaint is the lack of parts to fix problems with defective guns at the factory. That means, if they have not got any, you can't buy it... even if they offer it for sale.

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
i hear what your saying, they have plenty of levers in stock, i already checked.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
My understanding is the newest Marlins are coming out much better. I bought an 1895 GBL .45-70 a few years back and while it was OK I've seen some I wouldn't touch.

Regarding the big loop lever, I like mine just fine. I think I would stay away from some that are bigger then the Marlin levers just because it seems your hand has to travel too far down before the lever opens. This personal preference of course, others may like them.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2802 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
your correct about more travel to operate the lever. its not so bad when you have big hands and wear mittens while hunting.

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
my dealer is going to order one for me from marlin on monday, i will let you all know how i make out with it.

One of Us
Picture of Nanook 450
posted Hide Post
they look cool, and may be better if you wear gloves - but they don't function as well as a factory lever.

Posts: 247 | Location: Norman, OK & Marble Falls, TX | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
In my opinion they work just as well as the factory lever. I installed them on some of my 1895 45-70's with the squared levers which hurt my hands. The large lever is much more comfortable, and fits my hand much better. As far as working, it unlocks and moves bolt back and forward. What more do you want.

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote