New
Find
Notify
Tools

1895 question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm considering buying a Browning 1895. If you were to purchase one would it be in .30-40, .30-06 or something else. I know that the grand -06 is more practical, but the Krag round would be the nostalgic choice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both rounds can be considered nostalgic, and both were chambered in original rifles. The 06' is more flexible, common, etc.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3291 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
If you want one in .405 WCF, I can tell you where to find one:

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
She's mighty purty! But I'm thinking of just a shooter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Go with the 30-06..Brass will be a lot easier to come by, and its balistically a much better round.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41973 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one I've got is in .30-06 but I've wished it was a .30-40 since day one.
Like the others said the -06 is more common so ammo and brass are much easier to find. Mine is for 220 grain loads so it's a handload only proposition either way and with that heavy bullet the larger -06 case doesn't give that much of a performance increase over the older .30-40 so for me it's a moot point. I just WANT it to be a little different.

Posts: 88 | Location: PNW | Registered: 07 September 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
My own preference would be .30-40 as well, just because it seems such a great fit in that platform with the 220s. Get yourself a nice old Springfield sporter in .30-06.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I grew up listening to my grandfather's stories of the Banana Wars and his Krag rifle. So I'd really love a .30-40. However, I have enough .30-06 brass laying around to outfit an expeditionary force. So the only practical answer is buy one of each! Of course then I'd need a .405!

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
faraim,
you are on the right track!

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before the the tang safety 405's were introduced, Krieger advertised converting Browning 30-40's to 405. Having had issues with the tang safeties on two different Miroku 86's, I'd opt for a converted Browning over a tang safety 1895. I say this with complete ignorance as to whether the safeties of the 86 and 95 are the same. I am just that jaded in favor of the half-cock, after my ordeals.

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3291 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Matt,
I shoot the Miroku made 1886 and 1895 with tang safeties and have had no issues with the safety other than learning the take it off with the hammer cocked when getting into the short strokes of a stalk on game.
It even allows me to climb into an elevated blind with the rifle loaded due to the added safety aspect it provides. The sound of a lever action being worked to load the chamber can sound very loud on a quiet morning or evening.
I still like my 100+ year old 1892 Winchester though and just have to remember which version I am using at the time.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Matt,
I shoot the Miroku made 1886 and 1895 with tang safeties and have had no issues with the safety other than learning the take it off with the hammer cocked when getting into the short strokes of a stalk on game.
It even allows me to climb into an elevated blind with the rifle loaded due to the added safety aspect it provides. The sound of a lever action being worked to load the chamber can sound very loud on a quiet morning or evening.
I still like my 100+ year old 1892 Winchester though and just have to remember which version I am using at the time.

I owned both a 1998 production full octagon, and a 2000 production light weight model 1886. Both developed week fireing pin strike issues after about 200 rounds. Winchester was no help, so they both went down the road. This was in 2001-2002. A few years later, Dave Scoville wrote an article in Rifle or Handloader magazine mentioning the commonness of the problem. I believe he recommended removing the safety altogether, and keeping the chamber empty until you are ready to shoot. I've owned two Bowning 71's and they were absolutely reliable. If I ever get another 86, it will be a browning. The lawyers fixed a nonexistent problem and created real ones. Turnbull can neatly convert the tang types to half cock with the use of judicious welding. However, nothing he does is inexpensive. I'm not saying it's not worth it, but a browning would be cheaper in the long run. The issues I had may have been taken care of on later production guns.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I have three Jap manufactured rifles,45/90 win 1886 TD,win 71 converted to 450 Alaskan & a short 24" win 1886 45/70,they all have tang safeties,
Matt,I think you are correct,these are later guns & the problems have been resolved,I have zero issues with these guns after firing hundreds of full power loads,as crshelton says,it just takes some getting used to,must add that I really enjoy my levers.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My option would be the new Win. mod. 95 in 30-06 in a Saddle Ring Carbine. I sold one last year to a friend who wanted it badly..It shot 220 gr bullets at 2500 FPS, that's considerably more that athe 30-40 krag will do at 2000 FPS..

I had an uncle who shot his elk and deer every year with a win 95 in 30-40 Krag SRC..He used the 180 or 220 gr. factory stuff, whatever was on the shelf, and had no issues at all killing big bulls. Another had a 99EG in 300 Savage and it worked as well. All the guys in camp teased the uncle with the big ole 300 Savage, called it a cannon and a meat waster..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41973 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I have had both calibers in the guns that were made for Browning, and currently have a Model 95 that was rebarreled to .35 Whelen. I like the Model 95, and would love to have one of the SRC versions in .30-40 Krag (.30 Government). You would not go wrong with either the .30-40 or the .30-06.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have both, and I recommend you go with a third alternative; a 405. It doesn't take as many rounds to kill stuff. And either of the former can be converted to a 405, yes I have done them.

Posts: 17179 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
dpdc said " I recommend you go with a third alternative; a 405. It doesn't take as many rounds to kill stuff"

Very true sir!

And you can load it down with 210 grain bullets for .41 mag. ")

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would prefer the 30-06 to the 30-40 by a wide margin. Ammo much easier to find.

However, my 1895 is a takedown in 405 WCF. I really like the calibre. It is one of my most favorite hunting rifles.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It took me about 30 minutes to take the tang safety out of my new Win. mod. 95 30-06, it still has the half cock like the old guns..I tigged up the gap in the tang, polishied it off and rust blued it to match...Hated that grip shotgun safety on a rifle, besides my gun rack in my PU pushed the grip safety off from time to time..

Just for the record, according to my reloading books and my gun the 220 Nosler or whatever has substantialy more velocity than the 30-40, at best 1900 FPS against 2400 FPS for the 06, and more with handloads, that is substantial..Not to say the old 30-40 won't do its job, it certainly will, I have seen it and the 300 Savage do yeomans work on elk, deer and bear in my misspent cowboy youth....

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
It took me about 30 minutes to take the tang safety out of my new Win. mod. 95 30-06, it still has the half cock like the old guns..I tigged up the gap in the tang, polishied it off and rust blued it to match...Hated that grip shotgun safety on a rifle, besides my gun rack in my PU pushed the grip safety off from time to time..

Just for the record, according to my reloading books and my gun the 220 Nosler or whatever has substantialy more velocity than the 30-40, at best 1900 FPS against 2400 FPS for the 06, and more with handloads, that is substantial..Not to say the old 30-40 won't do its job, it certainly will, I have seen it and the 300 Savage do yeomans work on elk, deer and bear in my misspent cowboy youth....

I'm quoting not to argue so much as learn a bit...

The -06 can indeed be loaded hotter than the Krag, not going to disagree with that, but the Krag is handicapped by the low chamber pressure put on by SAAMI. It's actually got more case capacity (comparing H20 measurements) than a .308 Wichester but the .308 has higher velocities in every reloading manual I've ever bothered to open.
Also the newer 1895's where chambered in .270 which SAAMI says can be up to 65000psi (higher than the .30-06) so we know its a plenty strong action...
So IF the chamber pressure were turned up for the .30-40 it wouldn't lag to far behind the .30-06. I'm sure you know the military tried loading their 220 grain .30-40 to 2200fps but quit because of the Krag rifles weak single lug. So with modern powders it should do 2300fps without to much chamber pressure.

That is what I mean when I say the .30-40 and the .30-06 with a 220 grain aren't that far apart. 200 fps isn't enough for me to worry about with this gun (although it's got the second best set of factory sights I've ever had the pleasure to use).

On a side note would you care to share any more information about the safety delete on your 1895 you did? I weld every day but I keep chickening out whenever I think about welding on my gun.

Posts: 88 | Location: PNW | Registered: 07 September 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HAWK CREEK,
I won't argue your post, but if you compare handload to handload, the Krag has the potential of a 300 Savage in in a bolt rifle can approach the .308, but in lever guns all are a bit less as to pressure capability as compared to a bolt gun, so I would say off hand two grs. below book max is a fair comparison..that comes to about 200 FPS which is no step for you, and I can't argue that so lets call it a draw! wave

I just went in the grip area an took out the grip safety, that left a small hole where the slide part protruded out on top of the tang...I tigged it up filed it flush, polished it flat and blued it..actually I glassed it closed with dyed black glass,went elk hunting, then came home and tigged it up and blued and polished it...a quick dab of weld with a tig has no effect on the bolt area, so its no big deal as for safe, many old Win. have welded up tangs, they even bronzed them for goodness sake, what a mess that is..A tig isn't necessary, you can use rod if your handy. I would suggest you do that in stages and not let it get too hot, a dab a day works on those kind of jobs.

At any rate its an easy modification that doesn't show if done properly. The grip safety is just a cheap add on..tin and wire. rip it out, toss it and weld ..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd be happy to find a used on in any caliber I could afford.

dpcd can make it a 405 he says...

Rich

I really wish they would bring these out with a pistol grip.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Idaho, if you can stand the tang safety of the Miroku 1895, (it is not a problem for guys like me that are not lever gun purists)you can pick up a used .405 for around $1,000. These are usually folks that are recoil sensitive and are useually almost like new.

Of course if you want a new 1895 .405 that you start shooting ASAP without any further looking or gunsmithing, look no further than my Deluxe below:

I bought this from a collector just before I bought my TD .405 and the deluxe has sat in the safe unfired since then.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
http://i105.photobucket.com/al...07/CRS0137/Rifle.jpg

I have one exactly like that, as well as a standard grade with a Providence tool reproduction Lyman 21 peep sight.

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CR,

you are absolutely killing me showing pictures of your deluxe...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 405 TD. Go big or go home!

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an old original 1895 saddle ring carbine in 30/06 , handed down from gramps ,that I shot my first buck with . Almost 50 years ago now !

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1299 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
+1

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CR,

when I put four new Michelin Pilot Sports (tires) on my old jag, they gave me six months same as cash.

just thinking...

Rich

tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Sharpshooter,
At the twin Falls gun show last week end there was a super clean old Win. 95, mint bore and 95 % original blue and solid wood for the asking price of $650, problem is it was drilled for a off set side mount and had a Lyman Alaskan 2.5 (worth $250) on it...but at $650 it was well worth the bucks as a shooter. I should have bought it but didn't for reason I cannot explain. Maybe mood changes or testosterone depletion, who the blank knows..

The upside is check out the up coming shows, that guy is at all the smaller shows..Told me he has had it for 6 months with very little interest??

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray
did you have a table at the Filer Show?

shane

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am partial to the 405, shooting 300 or 360 gr Northforks.

I do enjoy my 1895 in 35 whelen. It was an 06 which I had gotten for a steal, and had rebored. It shoot 275 gr Woodleigh or 280 gr Swift bullets really well.

You can't go wrong with the "06" classic, plenty of brass and bullets available.

BD

Posts: 24 | Location: WA | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NPD,
Do I don't go to gunsshows and get a table anymore, they have turned into mostly junk shows around here..more flowers and roach clips than guns, not to mention black rifles for which I have no need..

I found 2 guns worth buying at the Filer show this year..Last year I bought a Win. 71 for $800 and a like new 1948 Win 94 in 25-35 for $800, 5 boxes of old Western Cartridge Co. 180 gr 30-06s....If you do find something it seems like they will sell it for whatever they can get and I like that, just not much selection so its a crap shoot, but I always wonder thru it and hope for a deal.......Its definatly a buyers market.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120