New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 88 Winchester
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've always wanted a Model 88 Winchester but have never seriously shopped around for one. I just located a pre 64 (cut checkering) in .308 with a 20" barrel. It has a steel weaver K4 scope mounted on it. It looks to be in pretty good shape

The asking price is $750. My question is what is the price range these guns are going for these days. I've checked gunsamerica.com and gunbroker.com but not sure I believe the price ranges I found on the few they have posted.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
The price is IMHO rather high. Take another look around, and do not exclude post-64. Some shooters dislike the basket weave checkering on those rifles, but they are quite OK technically, and do not show the deterior work many find on the other post-64 Winchesters. Metal work is still high class on all #88.

Regards

Fritz - the happy owner of a Win 88 from 1971

The true and only Fritz Kraut

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Question for the M88 experts is about the 20" barrel on a pre 64? I am not sure thats original?

As to the price its too high. I bought a pre 64 308 M88 last winter in a shop for $525 and it had a Lyman 4X All American and three clips. I think I paid a little too much but not bad.

I was just at a shop last night where the owner has sold his 40+ gun collection of 88's they went for about $400.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a pre-64 M88 in .308, and they're a very solid, well-made gun, but that price is considerably higher than you should pay. Re: the barrel, they came with two barrel lengths from the factory: the standard length was 22 inches, and they made a carbine with no checkering and a barrel band with a 19 inch barrel. It sounds as if someone has lopped off 2 inches from the one you're looking at, since you said that it was checkered. Shortening the barrel should reduce the price, as it would have much less value to a collector.

Posts: 113 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 18 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I know I'd get good info. here. I thought that price was rather high. I'll keep looking.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe the 20" barrel you are looking at is the carbine version of the 88, it is more expensive than the regular 22" version but with all used rifles if your going to buy it research it first to make sure it is original

Posts: 234 | Location: tx | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
if the gun has the band around the stock forearm and barrel it is a carbine version, if not the barrel has been cut, which would make the value much lower, the carbines do tend to fetch much more money. $750 is pretty high, I would try to stay below $600

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
My bro-in-law picked up a cherry, that's been hunted but rarely shot post 64 88 in 308 two weeks ago for $350, private sale. Rifle shots well. There was a tasco 3-9 which was immediately removed... but yours sounds too high, but not if a .358!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Pre 64 88 in .284 that I may sell it will not be cheap. The 88,s vary on price depending on area. I sold a 98% .284 10 years
ago for 1K.

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a very nice pre-64 (5 digit SN) 308 88 with a Williams peepsight that I'd like to sell for $550 + shipping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JB, please contact me ! I want your rifle. I know it's a good one. I think you remember me, I sent you an article on the .338-08

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
wow that looks as new!!!!!

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
88 has been sold to HardLuck.

one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
God I'd love an 88 in my gunsafe, but they are few and far between in Ozland.

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

This one is mine. It's in .308 and has an older Weaver steel tube KV-60 mounted on it. I paid $250.00 for it from "a friend of a friend". It will go under an inch with cheap Winchester USA ammo.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.as...R+88%2f100+MAGAZINES

This is a link to Brownells for replacement magazines for the Winchester 88 and 100 Model rifles. If lost these magazines can be expensive and difficult to find. These are made on the original tooling. I picked up an extra one for my Model 88 and it functions, and looks perfect. billt

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a place in Canada, I think ,called Western Gun Parts limited I would ghave to look up the No. but they have every part made for winchester 100's or 88's. I have ordered from them in the past, great people and service, best of all Canadian prices !

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Acording to Geoff Miller at Rigbys you want a post 64 if your going to customize it and an old one if your going to keep it as is.

Geoff built the one Craig Boddington shoots in 358.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote