New
Find
Notify
Tools

.375 Win in Savage 99
 Login/Join

Picture of 8x57 IS
posted
I got a offer for a like new savage 99 in .375 Win. This caliber is almost unknown in Germany. Short research in some forums showed, that this caliber is a little bit outdated. Only 3 supplier delivers bullets. I would like to by the rifle
for plinking and collecting and some times for
hunting wild boars. Does somebody has expierence
with this caliber on hogs??

Posts: 26 | Location: Nearby Hamburg - Germany | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the 375 winchester, 38-55 are nearly the same as a matter of fact when Marlin brought out a 38-55 in their cowboy version lever gun it was bored to shoot .375 bullets later was updated to .377 bullets.
I have owned both an shot large feral hogs up to 350# with them using 180-200 gr bullets. The 375W when loaded properly has taken with authority game as large as elk and moose. But I wouldn't buy it with the intentions of it being a "stopper" on really large game such as larger bears.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned 375 Wins in Marlins, Rugers, and Savages. Originally, Winchester/Olin offered 250 and 200 grain factory loads, but now only offer the 200 grain. I reloaded my rifle with the 220 grain Hornady and 200 grain Sierra, with the nod going to the 220 grain Hornady. Most .375" bore bullets are designed for the higher velocities of the 375 H&H, so few bullets .375" bullets will work at 375 Win velocities, even in the stronger Ruger #3 and Savage 99 actions.

Lever action rifles are pretty uncommon outside of North America, so a Savage 99 in Germany ought to be a conversation piece, as well as being a practical medium game rifle when chambered for the 375 Win.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy it!!!! Its a pretty rare 99 and the 375win with the right bullets is very good for big game check out www.hawkbullets.com dont know if they ship to Germany but they have flat nosed bullets specifically for the 375win also Hornady makes an excellent 220gr bullet which would be all you really needed for a 375win.

Research the 99 and you will find that the 375chambering was one of the rarer ones. I just bought a 99 in 250 Savage and cant wait to try it out on whitetail deer....

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of 8x57 IS
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for your helpful answers, I tried to catch it on an internet market, but unfortunately I failed. There must have been an insider who quote an enormous price.
But that's ok, I learned something about the caliber and the savage 99. I will try
another time..... Wink

Posts: 26 | Location: Nearby Hamburg - Germany | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
The 375 Win might be a bit rare but a 375 x 284 can be done to just about any 99 and is a very stout conversion.

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. Wouldn't that be called a 7x30 Waters?

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Not unless the .375 cal just turned into a .284 cal...although they could share/use the same case. Big Grin WinkConfused

Maybe a 375 Waters if Mr. Waters was the originator.

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Waters is based on a .30-30, not a .284 win

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote