New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guide gun question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a M1895 45-70 Marlin guide gun, ballard rifling, I bought about five years ago. It shot about a foot low at 100 yds with the back sight in the highist position.
I called the factory and they sent me a new back sight blade, it was exactly the same size as the original, but I installed it and tried it out anyways. It still shot the same. I called Marlin again, told them the problem, and they sent me another sight blade, which is identical to the other two. I tried it anyways, and still have the same problem.
Anyone else have this problem? Anyone want to suggest an aftermarket sight? Or should I just sell it. It groups OK.

Posts: 97 | Location: Northern Lower Mich | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
What ammo are you shooting?

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Ken-I have the very same problem.I have not got to it yet but I was told the front site is the one that needs replaced.I too will be calling Marlin for a fix.Keep us or me informed if you get a fix first.

Best of luck.Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jackfish, I have different loads, but mosly I shoot Speer 400gr JFP, cronying at 1625fps.
Jayco, I just called the factory again, and they are going to send me another back site blade, he said there is three sight blades made for that rifle, and they usually ship with the smallest, (I'm guessing for light cowboy loads). I would think they would have sent me the tallest the other times . He also said if this doesnt do it, to ship the rifle back, something might be wrong.

Posts: 97 | Location: Northern Lower Mich | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had that problem and called Marlin. They asked what ammo I was shooting and how low I was. They sent me a new rear sight that was taller and all is OK now. I would measure the ones the sent, call them and tell them what you have and that you need a taller rear sight.

I think the sights not being adjustable for windage "SUCKS" though! And I took that snow clogging hood on the front off after the first time in the bush!!

Posts: 94 | Location: WI MI border | Registered: 25 March 2003Reply With Quote