New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning BLR rebarrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I Have never owned a lever action and am thinking about getting in to one just for fun. My problem is I don't want a standard caliber. I think it would be fun to have a 45-90, 45-120, 50-110. I am also cheap and do not want to spend a ton on an original gun that I will just use for blasting. I was looking at the browning BLR (I know the purests don't like them) How difficult would it be to rebarrel one to 45 90 or larger? Any Help or suggestions would be appreciated. I am tryimg to keep the gun under a grand.(preferably way under)

Thanks

Posts: 118 | Location: arizona | Registered: 24 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The BlR is available in 450 marlin. So you might be able to get away with just a rechamber. But you you might encounter problems with the boltface and the magazine. Could it be done yes. Under a grand consider the gun to start with is around 700 to 800 ain't going happen. So You want something different and want to achieve and even exceed 45-120 power just buy a BLR in 450 marlin and call it a day. I have this version in 358. Great rifle and if I wanted a real big thumper I would buy one in 450 marlin.
BLR

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have/had numerous BLR's over the years and find them a very high quality rifle in all respects. Spoke with Browning some couple years ago about offering one in 45/70Gov't but after listening to the plusses of the 450Marlin, my argument is that the 45/70 and it's cousins have been around for well over a hundred years and most likely will be another 100 years. Browning fellow stated that the rimmed cartridge was a real problem for them so not going to happen. Shame for it would be good combo as you suggested with your other rounds.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you need more power than a BLR in 450 Marlin, you might want to see if SSK would be willing to ream out the chamber to 458 B&M. This might be a very cheap power upgrade option for you.

http://www.elitetacticalsales....ated_458_B_M_-_1.pdf

Posts: 503 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you buy a BLR chambered for either a 7mm rem mag or 300win mag it can be re-chambered to a 458win mag, now that would be the be all to end all in a lever action and im thinking of doing one up just for the heck of it. The guys who do the Hawk line of cartridges work on BLR's

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I once had one rebored from .308 to .338 Federal and it worked famously. I think you would be fine with a rebarrel as long as the new cartridge fits the magazine and feeds properly. I don't think any of the cartridges you originally mentioned would work. If you use a long magnum BLR to start with, I would think something with a neck and based on the magnum case would be feasible. For example, .358 Norma and .416 Taylor would be worth exploring.

I think that one of the problems with this concept is that you are going to be generating a lot of recoil in a light rifle. Even if you add weight to the stock and use a heavy barrel the BLR is fairly light in the wrist and the stock might not hold up.

The 1886 lever action is a better platform for the cartridges like you originally mentioned. It was available factory chambered in 45-90 and 50-110.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote