New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alloy BLR rebarrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have heard of the alloy BLRs being rebarreled, has anyone had this done? I have tried Fred Z. at z-hat yet they never replied. Is this a real possibility? Now the rifle is a 270 win, would like to do something bigger. With a magazine change and open the bolt face a 416 Taylor fit really well- What do you think?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest something that doesn't have a belt. It's going to take a lot of space in the mag box, if it will even fit. Look at the 8x68S case. Fat and a hair longer than an '06. You could do something really nifty with that case and not have to fuss as much getting it to feed. Like maybe a 416LB Magnum
Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rebarreling will take a good gunsmith, since the bolt lugs lock directly in the barrel.

When doing any caliber change with the BLR, the new round needs to be based on the case of the original round in order to fit the existing magazine. Altering box magazines to feed another case type is something few, if any, good gunsmiths will even discuss.

Best bets for a big bore on a BLR are a .425, a .416 Taylor or a .458, all starting with a .300 Winchester.

On an existing .270, the logical big bore would be a 9.3x62.

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I borrowed a mag box from a 300win BLR and it fed the 416 taylor great. Only deal is to open bolt face and extractor for larger head. I have thought of the 9.3x62 also as a fall back. Am still waiting on Zieglin to see if he is interested, if not I may take the job on myself

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
That's not like Fred--
Have you called or emailed?

As to the .270 BLR--I would consider-- .375 Hawk/Scovill( or Whelen), .411 Hawk,
or as mentioned, the 9.3x62.

If considering the .416,.425 etc-- I would look for a used .300Win Mag BLR to start with--
it will cost less--
also consider an existing take-down --
and just have a second front end built.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DuggaBoye, I have emailed Zieglin 3 times and left one voice mail, might just be too busy its not a real problem. this project is something I want to do not something I have to get done tomorrow